Monday, June 7, 2021

Design Wall Monday 6/7/2021

Have you heard about the Positivity Quilt Along? It is the brainstorm of Preeti of Sew Preeti Quilts, and you can read more about it on her blog.



Preeti shared the fabric requirements and an incredible variety of layout options for the quilt recently (in this blog post.) I especially liked the versions that used darker background for the outer blocks, making a border effect. 

I spent a great deal of time last week dithering around, trying to figure out my color palette. Nothing was jumping out at me as the perfect choice, but I decided to try out turquoise and teal. My first two sample blocks used a single background fabric and two older fabrics for the plus signs/corner squares. It felt rather blah to me.


The next attempt switched things up with scrappy light greys for the background, and turquoise and yellow as my main colors. That wasn't working for me either...


Maybe if I switch the yellows to greens and teals? And make the corner squares from the same scrappy greys as the rest of the background? I'm liking this better than the previous versions.


I made four more blocks and have them up on the wall together. The thing I'm debating right now is whether to swap out the whitest pieces of background or leave them in. I can't decide if they are distracting or if they add a little sparkle. My idea is for the background to gradually get darker as you move out from the center of the quilt. We'll see if that works out.


Check out Sew Preeti Quilts for more info about the Positivity Quilt-Along. THIS POST will give you an idea of Preeti's starting point, and THIS POST has links to all the other information for the QAL.


Linking up with:
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

5 comments:

  1. That's so funny - I love all your versions!!! Of course - your last one, that one is my favroite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Julie, WOW!!! And I thought I agonize over color and placement :-) I actually like all the versions - they all convey a different effect. In the first version, I'd alternate one dark teal block with one light teal or green block. The second version looks bright and happy with a pop of golden yellow. No change required. And lastly the debate about grey or white - I don't think that is a big deal. Once the flimsy is completed, it will all meld into the background.
    But if you are considering the color wash effect (gradually changing value from the center to the corners) then it is a much longer conversation and a whole lot of work.
    Lots of love. I am looking forward to your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed seeing all of your variations on the Positivity Block. I'm doing light backgrounds and green + signs. The two I've done don't excite me yet. I may eventually add corners or possibly sashing with cornerstones. Too early to tell but must keep up with them or I won't get it done in time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...