Monday, June 21, 2021

A Positivity Problem

The positivity problem is not a reference to my attitude. I am generally a pretty positive person, no problem there. The title of this post is referring to a problem with the quilt that I've been making as part of the Positivity quilt-along at Sew Preeti Quilts.

I shared the color options that I was considering for this quilt in my blog post two weeks ago. I decided to stick with the scrappy grey background, starting with very light greys in the center of the quilt and getting darker toward the outside. I've been making blocks since then, completing 16 light blocks and 20 medium blocks. I'm planning to make 12 darker blocks, which will be added to the top and bottom of the quilt, taking it from square to rectangular.


You may be asking "What's the problem?" I've been agonizing over color placement, trying to get the blend of background fabrics just right. I even laid out all the pieces for the outer ring of blocks on the wall before putting any of them together. Here's what it looked like before the outer blocks were stitched up.


The real problem is I don't know if I will be able to let this quilt go! After all the time and frustration over the past few weeks, I love the way it is turning out and want to keep it for myself. That feels selfish, so I think I need to make another Positivity quilt to give away. I started cutting background fabrics and made the first few blocks yesterday.


I'm going much simpler with this version--tan/beige backgrounds with blue plus signs. I might add corner triangles later, and I might also do darker blocks around the outside for a border effect. Those decisions will happen in the weeks ahead.

Thanks so much to Preeti for hosting the Positivity QAL. She has lots of info and inspiration on her blog--it's not too late to join the fun!


Linking up with:
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 


6 comments:

  1. I like the scrappy, scrappy grays. Interesting how the design looks great with completely scrappy backgrounds or with all-the-same backgrounds, but "in between" doesn't work as well. (At least that's my current experience.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I laughed when you wrote that you wanted to keep this quilt! I bet that happens to lots of quilters - I know it has happened to me! So generous of you to start another Positivity quilt for donation. That makes the best of both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your quilt, looks great with the lighter colors in the middle. Plus blocks are my favorite quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your original blocks and don’t blame you for wanting to keep them! I don’t like mine at all, but I was selecting backgrounds and colors from what I had on hand, not what I would personally like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gray and blue with the dark/light balance is really pretty. I can see why it would be hard to turn lose of. What a great excuse to use up more scraps in another version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great solution and you’ll use up twice the scraps!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...