Sunday, July 31, 2022
Saturday, July 30, 2022
I managed to complete five of the purple blocks. Our new color for August is orange, and I don't need to make any more orange blocks. I started this project in July of 2021, and orange was one of the colors that got done last year. I will carry on with the rest of my purple blocks into August. I also have a purple Hawaiian applique block that is nearing completion.
Wednesday, July 27, 2022
Monday, July 25, 2022
That brings my number of finished blocks up to four. The blocks are large, finishing at 16", so the quilt only requires a total of twelve blocks. I'm a third of the way done making blocks!
The next thing I need to do before I can assemble any more blocks is to piece some more of the fussy cut centers. That is a slow and tedious process, especially cutting the pieces. Despite that, I like the way they are looking, which will encourage me to keep going.
Sunday, July 24, 2022
There was also a workshop with Nancy after lunch making her "Granny's Stars" pattern. I was able to finish one block during the class, plus made most of the units for a second block. That block was completed the next day.
The blocks finish at 16", so it only takes twelve blocks for a twin-sized quilt. I have most of the pieces cut for the remaining blocks and have been chain piecing to make the various units for them.
Monday, July 18, 2022
It took me a couple of days of pondering options before I settled on the color palette for my quilt. I'm basing it on this fabric that I've had for several years. I love the combination of colors in this fabric.
We need to have the pieces precut to make four blocks in the class. I cut the pieces for one block and tried them out together on the design wall. The center of the block was made from four fussy-cut squares of the original fabric pieced together.
I think I'll go back to yellow, but a less intense version. I'll need to make those decisions soon and get the pieces precut for class. I also need to pull out my featherweight machine and make sure it is working well. It has been quite awhile since that machine got used, at least a couple of years.
Sunday, July 17, 2022
It was fun to have my stash report showing more used than added for the past few weeks after I gave over 30 yards to the quilt guild. Unfortunately, my numbers have flip-flopped back to showing more added than used again. I placed two orders this week, both of them mostly replenishing background fabrics. I bought 3 yards of the cream Tula Pink fabric (2nd from the left) because it is my all-time favorite background for Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects. The other background fabric, the light grey on white that is 2nd from the right, is for a class that I am taking next week. The other fabrics are 1/2 - 1 yard pieces that were all on sale.
Saturday, July 16, 2022
I'm still having fun picking fabrics for these blocks, although I always seem to have more choices than I can use. One challenge that keeps coming up is dealing with a directional or striped fabric for the background. Sometimes the block turns out with the background pattern all running the same way, like the top row in the next photo. In other blocks, my background pattern ends up running both horizontally and vertically. It figures that the block with the boldest background design, the black-on-white print in the bottom right block, is one that runs both ways. Whichever way they turn out, they stay. It doesn't bother me enough to remake them.
Sunday, July 10, 2022
Saturday, July 9, 2022
The other purple UFO that got pulled out was originally planned to be an Amish-inspired Sawtooth Diamond similar to the quilt below.
Mine was going to be made with prints, not solids, in fuchsia and purple. I made lots of small (1" finished) half-square triangles with my two fabrics, and that's where it stalled out. I realize now that this design is not a good choice for me because it is a great way to display some fancy quilting, and that is not my strong suit.
Wednesday, July 6, 2022
Sunday, July 3, 2022
Last week my stash report finally reached the point of showing more fabric going out than coming in for the year, and I hope to keep it heading in that direction. When I was digging through my stash for fabrics to donate to the guild, I ran across a group of different berry prints, all quite old (probably late 1990's.) I decided they would make the perfect set of fabric napkins for the summer. I made two napkins from each fabric, using a total of 2 yards.