Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Stack & Whack Triangle Squares

My time for quilting seems to be limited lately, but I did manage to finish the borders on this quilt top the other day. This is my Stack & Whack Triangle Squares quilt.

Stack & Whack Triangle Squares
53.5" x 66"

That first photo was taken outdoors and the colors are a little washed out. Here's an indoor shot, that's goes the other way into a bit too dark, especially the lower half. The reality is somewhere between the two photos.


The bright print in this quilt is an old Hoffman fabric that I bought in 1998! I used the Stack-n-Whack technique to cut that print into triangles that spin around in kaleidoscoping designs. The blocks were very easy to piece, just four half-square triangles joined together into each block. The blocks finish at 6.25" each.


I found some blocks that were already pieced from several years ago when I dug this project out. I had to pull a few new green and blue fabrics for the background because the ones that had been used originally were long gone from my stash. It was fun to piece the blocks from this wonderful bright print and see how the designs change on each block. 

If you aren't familiar with the Stack-n-Whack technique, you can find out more at Bethany Reynolds website HERE. Her first book on the technique was published in 1998 and is still available from American Quilter's Society, Amazon or other sources. I made many quilts using her technique back in the day!


Linking up with:
Midweek Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at Inquiring Quilter
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

6 comments:

  1. All those from the same print -- what a great effect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt. I get very frustrated over colors of quilts in photos. I now "enhance" my photos in Photos on my Mac computer. I start by accepting the suggestion the computer gives and I generally add brightness because I have noticed all photos get darkened when I put them on my blog. So what started light ends up dark and often muddy. Of course I never know how far dark a pic will go. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stack and Whack was very popular back then. I have some fabric still sitting waiting to be made....Maybe someday! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow!!! That turned out really cool... psychedelic!!! Those twists and turns sure made unique blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fabulous, Julie! What a great way to use that vintage Hoffman print!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That print is so bright and fun! Perfect for Stack and Whack. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...