Saturday, July 9, 2022

Purple UFO's Revisited

One of my goals for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this year, besides making my chosen blocks in the assigned color each month, was to also make progress on some of my old UFOs. My plan was to pick a UFO each month based on our color for the RSC.

This month we are working with purple for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I didn't have many UFOs with purple in them, especially scrappy UFOs. However, I did find a couple of oldies that were still appealing.

The first project I pulled out was a set of Hawaiian applique blocks that I made between 2001 and 2003. There are three blocks completed, and the purple block at the bottom right is about 2/3 done.


Here is a closer shot of that unfinished block. I've been working on the applique this week and am making good progress on it. The unfinished area goes from the upper right down the right side to near center at the bottom. I hope to get the block done before the end of the month.


The other purple UFO that got pulled out was originally planned to be an Amish-inspired Sawtooth Diamond similar to the quilt below.


Mine was going to be made with prints, not solids, in fuchsia and purple. I made lots of small (1" finished) half-square triangles with my two fabrics, and that's where it stalled out. I realize now that this design is not a good choice for me because it is a great way to display some fancy quilting, and that is not my strong suit. 

I looked around for other ways to use some of the many HSTs, and decided to try a feathered star block. I have finished one block so far and am considering whether or not to make a few more.


Above was my first attempt at the block. I decided that I didn't like the HSTs near the base of the star points, so I reworked the block and replaced them with purple squares. Below is version #2. I wish I knew how to circle the area that got changed on my photos, but I'm not that technologically savvy.


I'm planning to get back to my regular RSC projects next week, probably starting with the Charm Baskets. I will try to get some more stitching done on the applique block, plus maybe figure out where I'm going with the feathered star block.

Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 
every Saturday. I'm also linking up with 
Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts, Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts and Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt.

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

14 comments:

  1. Your Feathered Star is wonderful! All those HSTs - wowie! I do like the change you made that results in the second version - it creates a frame around the center.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hawaiian applique blocks are beautiful. I have one in a kit I purchased many years ago on a trip to Hawaii, wonder where it is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, how beautiful are your Hawaiin blocks! All....are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your work.. the feathered star remains on my "bucket ist though" I found a not paper pieced pattern from a mag on ebay... contacted the author when I ran into trouble and she was NO HELP! FRUSTRATIONG!!!! Yours is lovely... I too like the send version better :) You are soooo talented :D Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Hawaiian applique block. I have always wanted to make one. Your star block is great and I can see the change that you made. I experiment every once in a while with my photos and learn new things. I just recently figured out how to write on a photo. Enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your applique blocks. Those four would make a lovely wall quilt just as they are or with a little sashing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo for pulling out some UFO's and moving forward with them. I think both feathered star versions look good. And I admire Hawaiian applique, but I'm just not good enough at applique to attempt one.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous UFO's. Love the Hawaiian applique and the feathered star! Great work getting them out and working on them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your appliqué blocks are gorgeous - so glad this purple one is getting some stitches to finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Feathered Star has been on my "someday" list forever. But I haven't tried it yet. Your version is gorgeous! And those Hawaiian blocks - just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All beautiful blocks!!!! I love feathered stars - they are a lot of fun - especially if using the bias method for doing the tiny HSTs in Marsha McClosky book. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,
    I like your pineapple blocks...so pretty. And the Feathered Star blocks are
    awesome...love the colors you used for these blocks. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. your Hawaiian applique blocks are sew pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea to resurrect the Hawaiian applique for the RSC choices. They are gorgeous. I would never be able to make a feathered star block turn out as well as yours. Point chopping is a specialty at my house, lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...