Saturday, February 25, 2023

February RSC/ABC Scraps Challenge

It is amazing to me how quickly the month of February has flown by! I know it's a short month, but this one really went quickly. I guess that means we've been busy.

One thing I was busy with this week was finishing my project for the 2023 ABC Table Scraps Challenge. My plan for the year is to continue making at least one placemat each month using the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month along with the letters for this challenge. This month our letters were M and V. I'd hoped to use colors that start with those letters, and had no trouble coming up with M colors: magenta, mauve, medium pink. I didn't have as much luck with V letters, but since this placemat was made in February, I'm going to consider it a late Valentine.


I started by pulling out my bag of pink crumbs and strings. That was where I discovered all the little bits that were pieced together for the center strip. Those were leftovers from a layer cake I'd used for two different baby quilts in the past (see them HERE and HERE.) I added a variety of strips and strings to get the placemat to the right size, about 14" x 18".


I used the same fabric on the back as the outermost strips on the front. The quilting is very simple, stitch-in-the-ditch along the horizontal seams.

One reason I don't have much to show of my own quilting is because we spent the day at QuiltCon yesterday. It was a great day with many amazing and inspiring quilts to see. Here are a couple of favorites that feature pink.

Forward X Quilt by Jessica Plunkett, Waukee, Iowa
This quilt was part of the Modern X Challenge.


River Gone Green by Paola Machetta, Trieste, Italy
This quilt was in the Improvisation category.


Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge every Saturday, the ABC Table Scraps Challenge at The Joyful Quilter, and at Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is more fun than Housework on Sunday.


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA


 

10 comments:

  1. I like your placemat! My guild is making Meals on Wheels placemats and I'm always looking for inspiration! Thank you! I also like the pink quilts from QuiltCon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful placemat and quilts from Quilt Con. It is always so good to see the quilts. It makes us want to start so many more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your placemat project is on track! February’s is a good one! Pretty, pretty pinks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a Valentine placemat for the ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge, Julie, as I spy a little heart in the pieced section! Glad to hear that you were able to spend the day at Quilt Con. I know you must have had SEW much fun and thanks for sharing your favorite PINK quilts in honor of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge Color of the Month for February!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The placemat looks great. A friend from my IL guild is attending QuiltCon too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't heard of the challenge to use colors starting with a letter. Love that you can google just about anything, including colors starting with the letter V. Hint - use vivid or vibrant as the first word in the color - such as vibrant fuchsia or vivid pink. Great idea to have placemats in a variety of colors. This month's looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute placemat, and great way to use up scraps! And thanks for the photos from Quilt Con, I am blown away!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are vibrant pinks on your pretty placemat for the challenge. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job turning those pink scraps into something pretty. Thanks for sharing with oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such vibrant colors! Thanks for the Quilt Con photos. Wow!!!! What an experience it must have been to see those quilts in person!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...