Monday, February 6, 2023

Design Wall Monday 2/6/2023

My design wall has been seeing plenty of action over the past week, with several different projects making appearances there. You can see most of them in yesterday's post

Much of yesterday morning was spent auditioning fabrics for the borders of our quilt guild's block of the month. This project is based on a free pattern from the National Quilt Museum (scroll down the page until you get to 2020 Quilt Along.)

Here is my center block with the first two borders. It should measure 17-1/2" at this point (I haven't checked.)


Up next it gets a 1" plain border, followed by a wide border with flying geese randomly scattered through it. After that comes another narrow border, then one more wide border with stars. The pattern shows it with dark backgrounds at the center, light for the middle wide border, and dark again for the outer. I don't have enough of any lighter fabrics that work for the middle border, so I'm thinking about keeping all of them on the darker side. Here are some of the combinations I considered.







The next photo gives an idea of the contrast I'm trying to achieve. By keeping the borders so dark, the piecing on them will show up well.


These fiery hot colors seem to be a theme for me lately. The Pickle Dish arcs below are another current project. The color choices must be my reaction to the cold, grey weather.


Check out what other quilters are working on this week at Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts. 

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

3 comments:

  1. Love the intensity of the hot colors, Julie. Intriguing BOM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous and fiery block and love the pickle dish arcs as well. I am loving your fabrics. Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is an amazing block! Thank you for the link to the quilt museum. I did not know such a site existed - what a treasure trove! Welp, I see another day spent scrolling through patterns - lol!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...