Monday, March 15, 2021

Design Wall Monday 3/15/2021

My quilting mojo has been a little hard to find lately. I have stayed up-to-date with my ongoing projects like the Sewcialites weekly blocks and the different rainbow projects I'm working on for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. However, I've been wanting to pull out a UFO and get it put together, but none of them were speaking to me--at least, not until I remembered my Beveled Blocks quilt kit, which has been hanging around in my sewing room since 2009!


It is very rare for me to buy a quilt kit. I generally prefer to buy patterns and choose my own fabrics. On the rare occasion that I do buy a kit, it is usually because it is a great price, and I know I can split it up and use the fabric from the kit for other projects. In this case, I am using the pattern and the fabrics from this kit together, but also adding some of my own fabrics to the mix.


These are the fabrics that were included with the kit--24 fat quarters. I could make the whole quilt top as shown in the pattern, 48" x 60", using just these fabrics. Instead I decided to add my own fabrics and use half of the FQ pieces, saving the other half of each piece. That gives me a wider variety of prints in the quilt, plus some new additions to my stash. I spent much of yesterday pulling and cutting brown fabrics, plus I made a start on the greens. 


I managed to get the piecing done for six blocks, although the final diagonal seams have not been stitched. I will wait to do that after all the block halves are pieced and I can mix and match fabric combinations. I'm planning to make a larger size quilt than the pattern, maybe 60" x 72". 

Once I get all of the strips cut, the blocks will come together quickly. I'm enjoying the process and look forward to getting more block parts up on the design wall soon.


Linking up with:
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA  

5 comments:

  1. The beveled blocks look like just the thing to get you back into the swing of quilt-creation. Lovely colors, interesting design idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mojo has gone missing, too!! I am in the process of re-evaluation and re-organization...nothing looks right to me lately so time for a little thinking session....
    Good for you keeping up with your projects;))
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. GULP! Had to laugh when I saw your quilting mojo was hard to find, I think mine's been hijacked and is being held for ransom some where, still waiting to hear, lol. You get so much done and finished that you blow me right out of the water. Seems like I've been flailing since around 2017 when hubby was nearing his heart transplant that was done in 2018 and I'm still recovering from the stress of it all and sometimes feel like I'll never get back to me and he is doing really well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s going to be a fun one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very fun project. I love the optical illusion that happens when you get the blocks all sewn together. Have fun with your new old project.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...