Friday, March 22, 2024

Project Quilting 15.6: Irish Chain

It's hard to believe, but this is the last week of the 15th season of Project Quilting. Thanks so much to Kim and Trish for another fun season of challenges. The final challenge for the year is to make something inspired by the traditional Irish Chain quilt design.

The first quilt I ever made was an Irish Chain quilt that my sister Karen and I did together as a wedding gift for our brother and his wife in 1995. I've also made other Irish Chain quilts through the years and always enjoy returning to this classic pattern.

Double Irish Chain quilt top, 1995

I've continued the theme from my earlier Project Quilting pieces this year by making an Irish Chain placemat. I thought about using greens to go along with the theme, but ended up pulling out some favorite blue and yellow fabrics instead.


The diagonal quilting lines show up much better on the back.


I thought it would be fun to get a look at all the placemats I've made for the different Project Quilting challenges this year. It's fun to see the wide variety of fabrics and styles.

Left column top to bottom--15.1: Bird's Nest, 15.2: Sky Color, 15.3: Inside Out (x 2)
Right column top to bottom--15.4: Hourglass, 15.5 Wearables (x 2), 15.6 Irish Chain 

All of these placemats will be donated to Meals on Wheels by our quilt guild. I will continue making placemats throughout the year, even without the continuing Project Quilting challenges.


Linking up with:
Project Quilting 15.6 at Persimon Dreams
Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

9 comments:

  1. It's a very fun set of placements. It's interesting to see the variety in what you made and the fabrics you used for your challenge projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In addition to the Green one on top, the irish chain placemat is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are ALL so awesome!! I love how you met each challenge - but I do have to say... wearables... it calls to me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your placemats look great together. Congratulations on finishing all of the challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All really pretty placemats. I especially like your Sky Color one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea to photo together. I made placemats for MOW also....think I will photo them together also ! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I recognize the blue/yellow/white in your Irish Chain -- a Hoffman? Great print. Placemats are such a fun format--big enough to really develop a design but small enough to finish quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. absolutely wonderful! Thank you for sharing an overview of your creations :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet addition to your placemat collection, Julie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...