Saturday, March 2, 2024

So Many Red Blocks!

February was the month to use our red scraps for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and I certainly went through plenty of red. Now it's time to put away the red scraps and make a start on my purple scraps for March. I don't have anything purple to show yet, so I'm posting a final wrap-up of all my red blocks from the past month. (Some of these have already been shared in earlier posts.)

My first red project to get done in February was the blocks for the RSC 2024 Samper, Hen and Chicks. The small blocks will finish at 3" and the larger ones are 6". I'm planning to make all my blocks for this sampler from batiks.


My next project was the Rail Fence Spinner blocks. I ended up with eight red blocks, plus one green block leftover from January. These are also 6" blocks.


I've been participating in the Project Quilting challenges at Persimon Dreams for the past couple of years. One of our challenges in February was to use "Hourglass" as our inspiration. I made a scrappy, strippy red placemat, which is also my entry in the Table Scraps Challenge at The Joyful Quilter.


Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts is hosting a Birthday Quilt 2024 quilt along to celebrate her birthday. There is a new pattern for a 6" block posted every week. I am alternating using a dark or a light background each week, and my blocks this month all feature red.



Hollow 9-Patch blocks have been one of my leader and ender projects since the beginning of the year. I ended up with nine 6" blocks in red for February.



The last red project for the month was added to the lineup less than two weeks ago. It is the improv scrappy colorwash blocks inspired by Terry Rowland. You can read more about these in last week's post. I ended up with 36 blocks for the month. They will finish at 3".


I put most of my red blocks up on the design wall together, although the Terry blocks are not included. It makes a wonderfully crazy, scrappy jumble of red!


Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge every Saturday and Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is more fun than Housework on Sunday. 


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

12 comments:

  1. Look at all those fabulous red blocks! What a great month you had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - awesome collection of red blocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun seeing all your pretty reds from February, Julie! Those Edyta Sitar blocks are really neat. I like the idea of alternating dark and light backgrounds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look how well they all fit together! What fun! I’m going to checkout the Birthday Quilt post and Terry Rowlands improv blocks too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You’ve made an outstanding group of blocks, Julie. I marvel at your precision and the delightful variety of fabrics you have! What a super roundup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, LOVE that crazy jumble of RED blocks, Julie, and thanks for joining in the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge Link Party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Guacamole!!!! - you have done a LOT of red...Got to love the name "Quilting is more fun than Housework"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love them all. Your colourwash quilt is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You definitely made good use of your red scraps. I'm excited to play with purple too this month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one crazy and amazing jumble of red! You made a bunch of blocks for February! Do you usually make that many?--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! You really brought RED to the table last month! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The red "collage" would make an interesting quilt on its own! Looking forward to seeing all the purples for March.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...