Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Around the Twist Quilt Top

Our quilt guild had a group sewing day at the end of February to work together on baby quilts. Most people were using a pattern supplied by one of the members, but of course I felt the need to complicate things for myself and made a totally different design. This is my latest Around the Twist baby quilt top.

Around the Twist, 38.5" x 45"

The starting point for this quilt was the background fabric. According to my records, this adorable print was purchased in 1998. 


I knew that I had used the same fabric for a small quilt many years ago. I managed to find a photo (not digital) of this Snowball/9-Patch quilt, made in 1998. I had totally forgotten about the coordinating striped fabric.

Snowball/9-Patch Quilt, 1998

The Around the Twist pattern used for the new quilt top is a design I have made a few times before, most recently as a baby quilt last year. (The quilt name under the next photo will take you to my blog post with more info about the pattern and this quilt.)

If you compare the finished quilt in the photo above with the quilt top at the beginning of this post, you might notice a key difference--the new version used five colors for the rings rather than the four in last year's quilt. Adding one more color made construction much more complicated. There are two different blocks in this quilt, Snowball blocks and Twist blocks. Every block uses four of the five colors around the center in very specific order to make the design work. That meant making five different sets of each block. My photos show two versions of each below.

Snowball blocks

Twist blocks

Piecing the blocks required concentration in order to get the colors in the right places, but it all worked out well in the end. I need to dig through my stash for a good backing fabric, then I can get this quilted and ready to donate. I've already pulled together another group of fabrics to make yet another version of this pattern. I considered using seven different colors for the rings in that one, but I think I will stay with five.


Linking up with:
Midweek Makers at Quilt Fabrication
Wednesday Wait Loss at Inquiring Quilter
Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

8 comments:

  1. All 3 are great quilts. I think your 5-fabric version would have me confused. All nice fabrics for baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely baby quilt. Each version is special. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/03/27/wednesday-wait-loss-373

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great pattern - bur definitely using 5 colours adds to the concentration level! Well done - all these look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 5 fabric version looks really complicated. All the quilts are really cute, you picked great colors for each. That's a versatile feature print.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Around the Twist is so colorful! I made that pattern a long time ago—I ought to revisit it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That comment was by Nann!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your complication was amazing!! what a fun quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I finally can see/understand that twist. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...