Monday, March 11, 2024

Design Wall Monday 3/11/2024

One of the new quilt projects that I started last month was our guild's new block of the month. We considered several BOM options and settled on Sewcialites 2 by Fat Quarter Shop. This originally ran as a weekly block program from October, 2022 until April, 2023. All of the block patterns are still available on the Fat Quarter Shop's website. The illustration below is from the original announcement on their blog.

The plan for the guild is to make two blocks each month. There are 24 different block patterns, so it will take us a full year to get through them all. Participants will share their blocks at the monthly meetings, and their name is entered into a prize drawing each time they complete the assigned blocks.

The block patterns include instructions for blocks in three different sizes, 3", 6" or 9". I've been having some trouble deciding what size to make, so I tried them all. For the 3" blocks, I used all solid colors.

3" blocks

My 6" blocks are made in Christmas colors. I'm not wild about the bright limey green, but I think it would be okay when there are more blocks made.

6" blocks

My first attempt at the 9" blocks features some batiks that I won in a giveaway from Island Batik last year.

9" blocks

I also made a second set of 9" blocks with a navy background and fiery yellows and oranges. These look like they would make a very dramatic quilt.

9" blocks

All of the blocks look like the same size in the photos above because they are all scaled to the maximum for my blog. The next photo lets you really see the difference in the sizes.

Sewcialites 2, Blocks 1 & 2

I'm not really planning to make four different sets of blocks every month, but I will probably do two, maybe even three. The hard part will be deciding which to eliminate. It is unlikely that I will use the FQS setting, shown in the illustration at the top of this post, for most of them, but that decision is a long ways off.

Check out what other quilters are working on this week at Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts and at Monday Musings at Songbird Designs. 

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

4 comments:

  1. Your blocks are gorgeous. By the multiple 9" blocks my mind had gone -- is she really going to make that many blocks each month? On the other hand you might be like me preferring to make the blocks than do all the other parts of quilting. Have fun with these. I'll be interested to see what they lead to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great start with many options for your guild block of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the navy with the warm colors and the batiks are pretty too. After the SAHRR, I've had enough of small blocks, I admire anyone who does a whole quilt from blocks that small. Look forward to seeing which ones you decide to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fun blocks, Julie! I like all of them. I bet those 3" blocks are a pain with all those tiny pieces! Thanks for sharing with Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...