Friday, March 10, 2023

Dust Off a Quilt Book Blog Hop: Around the Twist


Welcome to my stop on this year's Dust Off a Quilt Book Blog Hop, hosted by Bea at  Beaquilter. I believe this is the 5th year of this blog hop, but it is my first time participating. I've been collecting quilting books since I started quilting in 1995, and I knew I would have plenty of options. The hard part was narrowing it down to one choice!


I paged through many of my quilting books before settling on this one. It's not the oldest book I own, published in 1986, but I've had it longer than most of my collection. It's also significant to me because the author, Trudie Hughes, was one of my earliest quilting teachers. She owned a quilt shop, Patched Works, in Elm Grove, WI, not far from where I lived in my early years as a quilter.


Trudie was one of the early advocates for using rotary cutters and other time-saving techniques in quiltmaking. She wrote over a dozen books,  and I was lucky enough to assist her on a couple of the later ones. This was her first book, published by That Patchwork Place (later Martingale.)

Around the Twist baby quilt
38" x 44.5"

The pattern I chose to make is called Around the Twist. It is a variation of the design from the front cover of the book. I scaled the blocks down from the 6" size in the pattern to 4.5" for this baby quilt. The fabrics I used were all chosen to coordinate with the adorable birdie background print.




Our bright pink azaleas are blooming and seemed like the perfect match for this little quilt. 


The quilting is a loopy meandering design, done in a light aqua thread. The backing is a fun flannel print, and the binding is the same turquoise fabric that was used in the piecing.


Bea was interested in hearing about our oldest quilting books, even if we didn't make a project from one of them. I looked through several books in my collection and discovered that this is the oldest quilt book I own. If I'm reading those Roman numerals in the last photo correctly, it was published in 1935, and it looks like I bought it in February, 2002 or later.




Thanks so much to Bea for letting me be a part of this fun blog hop. Here's the schedule for the entire week of the Dust Off a Quilt Book Blog Hop:


Check out the blog posts, and maybe you will get inspired to make something from one of your old quilt books too!

This is my first finished quilt for March, and I am also linking up here:
Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Favorite Finish at Meadow Mist Designs

Happy quilting everyone,

Julie in GA 

18 comments:

  1. That quick quilt is adorable and guess what, 3 of you are tied for 1935! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trudie was a true pioneer. I have that book, too, and have always admired that cover quilt but never made it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a happy quilt for a baby, and it's perfect for Easter as well. Now, you have me thinking...do I have time before Easter? LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! Such great spring time colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful bright spring quilt. That design is on my list to make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful and cheery quilt...love it! The fabrics and quilt design are so bright and happy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delight to read your blog post this morning! I am sitting here watching a blizzard outside my window, and then I see that wonderful birdie fabric and gorgeous pink blooms from your post! Very uplifting! And then I laughed out loud...3 of us posted the same oldest book! Ha, ha! Love your bright, cheery baby quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's not one thing I don't like about your quilt. The colors are wonderful and that bird print makes me want it for a project. LOL The backing goes great with everything else, and the loopies are well matched quilting. You did a great job of photographing with your azaleas, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your 'twist' on the pattern!!! It makes for a fantastic modern quilt! Thanks for sharing! :-)
    quilting gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty for a new baby! Thanks for sharing your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a sweet quilt, Julie! A really neat design and such pretty colors, too. How fun to know that you actually know this quilter and have learned from and worked with her!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a lovely quilt! The little birdies are so cute, and I love the bright and cheerful colors you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just LOVE your version of this quilt. Beautiful, cute and cheery all at once. And how fun to have known the author of the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, I love those bright colors in your quilt. I have that book, I think it was one I found at Half Price Books when we lived in Texas. Congrats on a beautiful finish and on using one of your oldies but goodies quilt books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How neat that you own a book by one of your quilting teachers. Your baby quilt is really pretty, wonderful colors, great twisty pattern, and the backing is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What fun! I made an ATW years and years ago. Trudie did a trunk show for our guild shortly before she retired. Patched Works is still in Elm Grove. I haven't been there for a while, though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have all of Trudy's books! Her shop was a destination for me when I started quilting in the 90's. I drove over to Elm Grove so many times, just to enjoy the shop and the nice ladies who worked there. Such fond memories. I love that you remade this quilt. Very well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh.....couldn't believe that I have that book too & my earliest quilt book was one by Georgia Bonesteel bought around the mid 80's. I still quite often use one of my extensive collection of quilt books in amongst QALs, my own designs & looking at the i'net these days too. I made that same pattern too whilst living in Tasmania & once finished a few years later donated to bushfire victims here in Victoria. Thanks for bringing back wonderful memories & like that someone else must love styling their quilts outside for photo shoots. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...