Monday, March 20, 2023

Design Wall Monday 3/20/2023

Today is going to be the beginning of a new quilting adventure for me. I've signed up for a new on-line class starting later today, the Ruler Quilting Challenge taught by HollyAnne Knight of String and Story. There will be five days of lessons on the basics of using rulers for free-motion quilting. I just bought my first quilting ruler and look forward to getting lots of tips on how to use it. Best of all, my sister Karen has signed up for the class too!


There was a kit available for this class that included a panel to be quilted, but I have plenty of panels around and thought I would use one of those. Then I decided over the weekend that I could make my own version of one of the panel choices, and I pieced the four placemats shown above.


This is the fabric that was used for the centers of the stars, and it will also be on the backs of the placemats. My color choices were based on this print. The fabric is very old, and unfortunately, the printing is not terribly straight--those little gingham boxes all lean a bit, especially close to the selvage. I'm hoping I can manage to square it up a little better.

Check out what other quilters are working on this week at Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts and at Monday Musings at Songbird Designs.

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

4 comments:

  1. Oh how wonderful! I know HollyAnne from the Longarm League. She's delightful and I hope you and your sister enjoy the class together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those turned out nicely. Great use of an older fabric and sraps. It's funny I've been cutting fabrics for a 30's quilt. One of the fabric I found was also a Joan Messmore with turquoise stripes and yellow pears. This gives me ideas on how to other rest of the fabric. Enjoy your class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Piecing placemats is a quick thrill when virtuously made from fabric on hand :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, I hope your ruler class was wonderful! I love using rulers, when I can slow down and take my time on a project! Have fun with it! I look forward to seeing how you do with the placemats! Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...