Friday, March 31, 2023

Finishing Placemats

Another batch of placemats have been finished this week, with all of them being added to the stack getting donated to Meals on Wheels through the quilt guild. The first group to be finished were the Sawtooth Star placemats.


These were made for me to use as my practice piece for the ruler quilting class that I recently completed. This closer photo gives a better view of the quilting, although it's still hard to see in the center of the star. I enjoyed learning a little bit about using rulers for machine quilting, but I still have a long way to go before I will become comfortable with them.

The other placemat to be finished this week is this green string-pieced mat. I started by stitching together a stack of 1.5" x 3.5" rectangles that were leftover from making green Rail Fence blocks. I added strips to each side of the pieced section until the placemat was the right size (around 13" x 18".)


This placemat was made as part of the 2023 ABC (Table) Scraps Challenge hosted by The Joyful Quilter. My placemat fits with the assigned color of the month (green), but I completely forgot about including the letter prompts of B and U in my inspiration. I've been trying to include colors that start with the monthly letters. I guess my colors this month can be Bright green and U??? I drew a blank for color names that start with U. Let's say my placemat is Ultra Scrappy!

Linking up with:
ABC Table Scraps Challenge at The Joyful Quilter
Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

9 comments:

  1. "Ultra scrappy" works! The placemats made for your quilting class are beautiful, Julie. I really like the way you offset the star blocks with the border strips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your placemats for Meals on Wheels are so cute. I love the stars with the stripes. I also think your green placemat is Unabashedly Bold and Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely placemat finishes :))) I especially love that green scrappy one (big surprise, huh? hahhah)
    I need to do some new ones for the two of us...we mostly eat on the kitchen island so need a small table runner to match too. Nice small projects i am looking forward to...hugs for a great weekend Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie (Annie’s Musings)March 31, 2023 at 11:56 AM

    Oh my gosh, Bright green and Ultra scrappy are perfect for including the alpha challenge letters into your green project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL!!! Thanks for playing along with the ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge, Julie! The colorful set is wonderful, but the strippy GREEN one makes my heart sing. Your explanation of how you met this month's challenge is what had me laughing. BRIGHT GREEN and ULTRA scrappy is SEW perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All are beautiful! Love the green one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Star placemats are so amazing. They are a great design, and super idea to practice your quilting on!!
    Love the green too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julie, your placemat is very ultra scrappy! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...