Friday, January 26, 2024

Project Quilting 15.2: Sky Color

The second challenge for Season 15 of Project Quilting was announced on Sunday, and the theme was "Sky Color." Here's the challenge:
Take inspiration from the colors of the sky, but exclude or use less than 10% of the usual blue.

It took me a few days to figure out how I wanted to interpret the theme. Most of my ideas were for scrappy projects, and I didn't have the time or energy to pull out a whole pile of fabrics in order to cut them all. The plan finally came together after I discovered a Zip-loc bag of scraps from an earlier project.


These pieces were all leftovers from my Blooming Onion quilt, made in early 2021. The colors were perfect for the project I had in mind. 

Blooming Onion, 60.5" x 80.5"

The pieces I used measured about 2" x 4.75" each. I arranged them in a gradation of the colors of a  sunrise. They were all pieced together into a placemat measuring 12" x 16".


For the back, I used an old favorite Hoffman Fabrics gradation print. I had previously used the same fabric in my Project Quilting Mystery quilt earlier this month. 


Linking up with:
Project Quilting 15.2 at Persimon Dreams
Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA



16 comments:

  1. Love your sunrise quilt... and that blooming onion is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a gorgeous sunset on the desert. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blooming onion, Spetacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your sky colors. That Blooming Onion is fantastic! (That's another pattern on my bucket list....)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is kind of what I had envisioned in baby quilt or take-to-yoga-class quilt, but I have since gone in a different direction, and, unlike you, I did cut and cut and cut scraps and stash! Hope I can get it finished by Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I made the Blooming Onion for my brother and his husband's wedding gift back in 2004! Love that pattern, well Karla's entire book!

      Delete
  6. What a vibrant and happy quilt! Super pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still love your blooming onion, and the scraps make for a wonderful sunset sky place mat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You captured the colors of a sunset beautifully! Congrats on a gorgeous finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a sucker for a beautiful sunrise in the sky or as a quilt. Absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Wow!!! Literally a Fire in the Sky - I LOVE this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are both gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this and your Bloomin' Onion! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the quilt and I love what you did with the leftovers, Julie!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boy do I love your blooming onion quilt, and the placemat made with the leftovers is just as stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...