Friday, January 19, 2024

SAHRR 2024--Center Block

It's time once again for the Stay at Home Round Robin (SAHRR), a fun annual quilt-along hosted by Quilting Gail and five other quilters in the U.S. and Canada. I'd been thinking I would pass this year because I have so many other projects in the works, but seeing the parade of blocks others have chosen for their quilts is making me rethink that decision. I enjoyed taking part in the SAHRR for the past two years, and ended up with two different quilts that I really love.

Feathered Star Round Robin 2022
39.5" square

Patriotic Medallion SAHRR 2023
42.75" square

This week everyone is sharing their beginning block, which will become the center of the quilt. We can use an orphan block that we already have or make a new block. Over the next six weeks, the hostesses will assign the next border design/block (log cabin, pinwheel, applique, etc.) We each interpret that assignment in our own way as we build our wonderful medallion quilts. For more info on how the SAHRR works, check out Gail's intro post HERE.

I started with my box of Christmas fabrics, which also contained a few orphan blocks. I'm leaning toward using the first block, but am still somewhat undecided. 

Festival Star, 11"

Morning Star, 12"

Star in a Star, 24"

These star blocks all look like the same size in the photos above since I've made them as large as possible for this post. A shot of all three blocks together shows the actual difference in sizes.


I'll wait and see which block I prefer after we get the first border assignment. I especially love the fabrics in the larger block, but starting with a center block that large would make a much bigger quilt than I'd planned. Who knows what my choice will be (I might even make a completely new block!) 

This week's parade of center blocks is at Quilting Gail, and the rest of the 2024 SAHRR schedule is below.

January 22: 1st Round:   Wendy @ Pieceful Thoughts of My Quilting Life
January 29: 2nd Round:   Anja @ Anja Quilts
February 5: 3rd Round:  Emily @ The Darling Dogwood
February 12: 4th Round:  Brenda @ Songbird Designs
February 19: 5th Round: Gail @ Quilting Gail
February 26: 6th Round: Kathleen @ Kathleen McMusing
March 18:   Parade: showing all of your finished SAHRRs!
 
On Monday we will find out our first border assignment. I'm looking forward to another round robin adventure!


Happy quilting!

Julie in GA

6 comments:

  1. Very fun options for your center. My favorite is the Festival Star. Looking forward to seeing what you decide for the center and how you handle all the prompts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All are great options. I'm still wavering on mine, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all 3 blocks together look great. It would make the quilt even larger than just using the largest block. Think of all the fabric you would use up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Feathered Star and Patriotic Medallion quilts and I'm looking forward to seeing which centre you choose this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm partial to the Festival Star. It looks like a star surrounded by a wreath. I'd start with a smaller block, too, as these projects grow like topsy as the borders are added. I've not particpated in this round robin as I'm usually away for much of Feb and March.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh ... lovely blocks!! It'll be fun to see which one you pick!!! Thank you for showing us your previous SAHRR - they are fabulous and each is so different!!! Also thank you for linking to the SAHRR centre block party!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...