Thursday, January 18, 2024

First Finished Quilt of 2024

One of my biggest quilting goals for 2024 is to finish more quilts. Finishing has been my least favorite part of quilting ever since I started, but the number of unquilted tops hanging around in my sewing room closets has gotten ridiculous! I'm afraid to count how many there are, so it's time to get some of them finished.

The first quilt to be finished for 2024 is the Charm 9-Patch quilt. This quilt started as a set of 9-patch blocks made from charm squares by one or more members of our quilt guild. The guild president had made up several kits of these type of blocks and handed them out at a meeting last April with the challenge to bring back a finished quilt the next month. It took me several months longer, but it's finally done!

Charm 9-Patch quilt, 37.5" x 49.5" after washing

This was my favorite block in the quilt top. The sizes of the blocks tended to vary, and they all got trimmed down to the same measurement before they were joined together.


When I first received the blocks, I considered adding sashing in between to give the blocks a little separation, but I realized that joining them without sashing would produce a top that would fit on a backing made from a single width of fabric. I chose a well-aged Hawaiian print for the back and binding.


Here's a closer look at the backing fabric, and you can also see the meander quilting done in light blue.


This quilt will be donated back to the quilt guild for one of our community service partners. It feels great to have a finish, and I hope it's the first of many quilts to be completed this year.

Linking up with:
Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday (TGIFF) at Devoted Quilter

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

6 comments:

  1. I remember you working on that one. The backing is really cool. Congrats on the first finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your first finish this year!! I really like that "fruit" block too--so cute...nice work hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finish and with the backing this quilt has a little bit of everything! Yes, I love when a quilt is not so wide that you can put on a WOF backing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finish!!! that backing is awesome!!! and all the fun fabrics on the front - that is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on a fun finish! I immediately noticed those food squares in the quilt, too 😊 The backing fabric is a fun one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...