Friday, January 12, 2024

Project Quilting 15.1: Bird House

The 15th season of Project Quilting has begun, and our theme for the first challenge is "Bird House." Here's the challenge:

This week, I’d like you to be inspired by the myriad places a bird calls “home.” As always, this can be interpreted many ways: birdhouses, nests, birdcages, and trees could all apply – and you may take this theme anywhere else your imagination roams! If you can explain the connection (however tenuous) we’re on board!

I started by looking through my fabrics. I thought I had a piece with bird houses on it that might provide some inspiration, but no luck. If I ever had such a fabric, it is gone or well hidden now. I did find this cute bird print though. That could become my color palette.


Next I looked at a couple of block books. There were plenty of bird-themed blocks like Birds in the Air, but only one that fit the challenge--Bird's Nest. Here's a version of the block from EQ7 in colors similar to the bird print.



I pulled some fabrics from my stash and was excited to discover that I had enough of a chicken wire print for the background. I pieced a 12.5" block, then added borders on two sides to make it rectangular. Like last year, my Project Quilting pieces are going to be placemats, which will later be donated to Meals on Wheels.

Bird's Nest placemat, 12.5" x 17.5"

The bird print was used on the back. The quilting is all stitch-in-the-ditch.


Linking up with:
Project Quilting 15.1 at Persimon Dreams
Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

8 comments:

  1. Your birds' nest placemat is darling! The chicken wire fabric makes a great background. Making placemats and donating them to Meals on Wheels is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great challenge finish! The colors are fun and that chicken wire does make the block. Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors of your birds' nest block/placemat! It is generous that you donate them toMeals on Wheels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great block, clever interpretation! I'm making placemats this year also and donating them to meals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely placemat. Someone will be so happy to receive this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful! Perfect block choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally amazing block and mat!. I love how you designed it and your choice of colors to match the birds. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats amazing!! You are so creative!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...