Saturday, April 8, 2023

Starting on the Purple Projects

It has become my habit this year that the first project I work on each month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is my 16-Patch Stars blocks. I guess that's because they are the easiest blocks to make. I already have some 3.5" squares, and it's easy to cut more from my 3.5" strips. This month's color is purple, and I made two blocks yesterday.



I thought about making one block with all reddish purples and one with all bluish purples, but I'm glad I combined both in each block. They seem more interesting this way.


In preparation for the month of purple, I also dug through my box of leftover and orphan blocks. One of my discoveries was this set of three blocks from a long-ago BOM at a local quilt shop. We received a different pattern each month and used our own fabrics to make the blocks.


This is the one fabric that appears in each of the blocks. According to my records, I bought it in 2000, so that might be about the time we were making the blocks. I still have close to 3 yards of the fabric and could easily make more blocks to go with these. It's a great color combination. I need to do some digging to figure out if I have any more of this set of patterns.


Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge every Saturday, and at Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is more fun than Housework on Sunday.


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

10 comments:

  1. The Hoffman prints from those years were so luscious! ("Were"? LOL. I have some in my stash, too.) Good idea to combine red- and blue- purples in your star blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 16 patch stars are so pretty, Julie! I like the blue and red purples together, too. I always want to separate them, but it's good to see that they can work together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty PURPLE 16-Patch Stars, Julie! Looking forward to seeing what will become of those Orphan blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love your blocks, and the purple stars are a perfect example of why. Mixing all the purples really does add sparkle and interest! That Pablo’s Puzzles fabric is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your star blocks are always fun to see completed. Looking forward to see what you end up doing with your three orphan blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I need to add the star blocks to my list of blocks to make!! They are truly lovely

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mixing the purples really did work didn't it? I don't cut 3 1/2" much. Maybe I need to add a 3 1/2" bin to my shelf! I've got a ton of 2 1/2" squares, they would work too. Just smaller. Oh, the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The last three blocks look southwest! Mixing your purples for the RSC blocks looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that you kept the blue purple and red purple blocks together. Your blocks sparkle! As for your find, I too loved the Hoffman prints from that time period. I look forward to seeing how you set these blocks as well as what accompanies them!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such fun scrappy star blocks! I have some older fabrics in my stash that I like to mix in with the newer stuff. Great blocks. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...