Monday, April 24, 2023

Design Wall Monday 4/24/2023

Our recent meeting for the Common Threads Quilt Guild included a new challenge issued by our president, Martha. She had discovered a stash of blocks made from charm squares and challenged us to make donation quilts from them. The blocks had been packed together into kits for us to take home, with the challenge to bring back a finished quilt next month.


These are the blocks that were in my kit. It is an extremely random mix of fabrics. Each block measures around 13.5", although the sizes do vary by as much as 1/2". The first thing I will need to do when I am ready to start sewing will be to press them all very well, and they will probably all get trimmed down to a consistent size.


Because of the differences in block sizes, I thought it would work best to add sashing and give the blocks a little separation. My first thought was to use a medium blue, and I found a fabric right away in my stash. I even have enough that I could use it on the back of the quilt.


The sashing strips in the photo above are different sizes because they came from my pre-cut strips drawers. I haven't decided yet which size I will use in the quilt. I added some squares of a possible cornerstone fabric and ended up with the combination shown below.


My favorite block from this group.



Check out what other quilters are working on this week at Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts and at Monday Musings at Songbird Designs. 

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

4 comments:

  1. The sashing with the green cornerstones is my favorite. What a fun and quick donation project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sashing will definitely help meld the disparate fabrics into a whole. Your choice of blue sashing picks up the blues in every block

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certainly a variety of prints! The blue sashing will provide some breathing room and coordination. (Great challenge, BTW.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a lot of variety, Julie! I do like the green cornerstones and blue sashing. Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...