Thursday, April 13, 2023

Star Cluster Quilt-Along Top is Finished! (or maybe not?)

One of my favorite recent projects has been the Star Cluster quilt-along with other members of the Common Threads Quilters Guild in Newnan, GA. Several of us have been making quilts based on the quilt-along pattern from the National Quilt Museum in Paducah. This week I finished adding the last border to my quilt.

Star Cluster quilt top, approximately 45" square

I've been working completely from my stash on this project, mostly using batiks. I didn't have enough of any single fabric for the background of that outer border and ended up combining three different pieces. I thought the two viney prints were the same, but the colors sure turned out to be different, as you can see in the photo below.


This quilt is a very different style than what I usually make, which was both challenging and lots of fun for me. My husband Ed absolutely loves the way it has turned out, so much so that I'm thinking about making it even bigger. It currently measures about 45" square, and I'm thinking about making it into a throw size, 55"-60" wide x 70"-80" long. Enlarging this will involve some serious planning/designing, and I might need to buy some background fabric for any additional borders.

One challenge that hasn't been solved yet is a name for this. We've been throwing around all sorts of ideas, but none has stuck yet. Early in the process, Ed commented that it made him think of the Jetsons (do you remember that animated sitcom from the 1960's?) The original name for the pattern is Star Cluster, but I have made several baby quilts from a different design with the same name.

If you are interested in making this pattern yourself, it originated from the National Quilt Museum. It used to be available on their website, but they seem to have changed things around and moved it to their Facebook group page. I believe you will have to join their group to access it. Look under Files, then scroll down the page until you get to Quilt Along 2020. They have several other Block of the Month patterns in the files.

 
Linking up with:
Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

5 comments:

  1. I've admired this more with each update post, Julie. The variety of similar-but-different colors adds such interest. And the pops of gold make it sing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting the "last" border added. You did a great job managing the background fabrics, the differences add a lot of interest. If you thinking this goes to Your Guy and he's thinking Jetsons, you could go with Astro as the name, which was their dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually love the look of the border with the slightly different colors in the background. What about "Jets On" as a name?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! that is a super cool quilt - it just pops out at you - and makes you want to see it all. I agree with Ed!! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really neat quilt Julie! (Jennifer in Indy)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...