Saturday, April 22, 2023

Purple Jabberwocky

Another set of blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge was finished this week. These are my Jabberwocky blocks in purple.


I was able to pull the right scraps to make one block in bluish purple, one in reddish purple, and one in true purple. I must have been more distracted than usual while working on these because I kept making mistakes in my cutting. Some were just pieces that needed to be trimmed down a little more, but there was one set of pieces that had to be totally recut. They all turned out okay in the end.


Those blocks set in straight rows seemed a little static and boring. Maybe they would look better if every other row were offset.


I do like this better, but it means I'll have to figure out what to do in those spaces at the ends of the shorter rows. I'm definitely not going to make half blocks for the ends--the full blocks are difficult enough! That's something to ponder as I continue making more blocks each month.

The "Jabberwocky" block design is a Judy Martin pattern from The Block Book. I believe the book is out of print, but available at a variety of on-line sources. The finished size of these blocks will be 10.25". I'm planning to make 30 blocks altogether, then set them together with sashing and maybe a border, for a nice-sized throw quilt.

Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge every Saturday, and at Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is more fun than Housework on Sunday.


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

5 comments:

  1. Love your Jabberwocky blocks. That is going to be such a cool quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are such neat blocks! They have a three dimensional look to them. Pretty in every color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this block and suspect I'd set them on point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a spectacular quilt those RSC blocks will make, Julie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...