Saturday, August 15, 2015

UFO Frustration

It has been a slow start this month on my projects for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Our color for the month is indigo (purplish blue), with black and grey as alternate choices. I am using indigo in my applique circles blocks, but only completed a couple of them this week. My bowtie blocks are being made in black and grey, but all that got done on those this week was cutting more pieces.

It took quite awhile to choose my UFO project for the month. I pulled out a few options that included black, but most of those didn't make me want to finish them. I ended up deciding to work with this set of nine-patch blocks that were left over from a couple of quilts I made around 2004. Here is what I had up on my design wall earlier in the week. This is the type of layout that was used for the previous quilts.



I spent many hours playing with ideas for finishing the quilt. I didn't want to make lots more nine-patch blocks, but I would like to get the quilt big enough for a possible Quilt of Valor. I auditioned many fabrics as possible alternate blocks, and setted on three different greyish-green prints, using up almost every inch of all three. I will need to make some more ninepatch blocks, but not too many. Any blocks that don't get used in the quilt top will become part of the back. It's time to get these blocks out of the box of leftovers!



The three blocks with medium brown near the top right will be the center of the quilt, with concentric rings building out from there. I am debating between the grey or the blue blocks for the 2nd round of ninepatches. In the meantime, I need to add up how many more blocks I need of the other colors, and get to work cutting strips for them.

Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. 


Julie in GA

12 comments:

  1. I love it - I'm such a sucker for nine patches! It's one of my favorite blocks to play with. Yours are going to be so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great little nine patches. Interesting setting idea with the rounds of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love your 9 patch UFO project. The grey greens are a perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always manage to keep busy and make the best scrappy quilts! This one is no exception!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love these nine patches, too. Such dark rich colors--like some fancy European dessert--yum...this will be lovely...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the nine patches & finishing a UFO makes one feel so virtuous! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely UFO you have chosen to work on this month! Good luck with the finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful work! Best of luck with the finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I like that layout you decided upon. It will be camouflage colored QOV.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking good! Rich colors. Feels good working through and finishing up those UFO's

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've done a great job finishing up UFOs this year. Love the dark colors in these blocks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...