Saturday, August 22, 2015

Scrappy Circles and UFO 9Patches

My current projects for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge have been moving forward this week. I have been working on bowtie blocks and plan to have them all ready to show next weekend. I appliqued a couple more indigo circles, bringing my collection up to a dozen.



My main focus for the week has been my 9Patch UFO. After my frustrations from the previous week, it felt good to get down to sewing. I finished making the needed 9P blocks, then started joining them together.

I took a Blooming 9Patch class many years ago and learned a very useful trick for joining blocks together, and it works especially well for this design. Instead of sewing the blocks into long rows, then joining the rows together, I start by stitching the blocks into large 9Patch units. Then the bigger units get joined to one another. You can get a better idea what I mean from my photo.



The trickiest part of this is keeping the blocks in the correct positions. The next step will be to make a giant 9Patch from the blocks at the center of this layout, then join the rest of the units into sections that finish it off. I am hoping to get it all put together this weekend.

Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.


Julie in GA

14 comments:

  1. Great progress. Hope all the blocks end up in just the right spot. Diagonal setting can be so tricky that way. Beautiful blues too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting sewing technique. I stitched my B9P from the center out as I worked on the progressive combos, but I still had to sew the long rows to finish. Hope I can remember your tip next time I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do so love black and white and blue together . . . your nine patch project is going to be wonderful. Good luck with the assembly process (I always manage to turn one around when working on point).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! Your nine patches are coming together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like those circles, that blue just shines against those background fabrics. You've made a lot of progress with your UFO too. Looks like you are not far from another finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your circles so very much - can't wait to see how they finally end up!
    Good tip on the long-row-avoidance. When I was putting together my Star Patch quilt, those rows seemed endless. I'll keep this in mind for my next quilt-involving-many-small-blocks-on-point. (Which is all of them, I think...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your scrap project is going to be so very special - love seeing them all you've done so far. I know what you mean about assembling. I finally resorted to labeling each block so that I would keep them in the right orientation. Look forward to seeing it a top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a REALLY good method for piecing a quilt (when the design allows!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tip! Makes perfect sense. The blues on black are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy stuff. I jusy love the blues on blacks. Had an opportunity to visit a fabric store yesterday and started collecting black fat quarters. They didn't have any white with black, but that's ok. Another day! Thanks for sharing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck setting the rest of those blocks just where you want them and completing that top. It's going to be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the indigo with the black and white. Great plan for putting the 9 patch blocks on point. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got a lot done this week. Love all of it, especially the indigo circle blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always love to see those circles...they are so unique. I'll bet it feels good to be moving along on that UFO.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...