Sunday, April 19, 2015

Stash Report Sunday 4/19/15

What a wonderful surprise to discover that my stash report totals are still in the black, even though I added over 20 yards of fabric to my stash. Now that's a good week!

I hadn't purchased any new fabric for almost two months, but have been wanting to get some more light neutrals to use as backgrounds on a variety of scrappy projects. Most of the time I can delete the fabric store emails, but a recent one from Hancock's of Paducah was too tempting to ignore. They were having a batik sale, and there is a line from Timeless Treasures called "Lace" in shades of cream/ecru. I ordered a piece of almost every fabric in the line. Here are a few favorites.



Of course, once I had chosen those, I had to look around their website and see what other trouble I could get into. It would have been foolish not to check, right?! I ended up buying a total of 26 different light background fabrics, plus a variety of other bargains. New fabric is such a wonderful treat!




Once my purchases arrived, I washed them up, then processed the neutrals for my scrap drawers. I organize scrap fabrics similar to Bonnie Hunter's Scrap User's System, cutting them into basic strip widths that I know I use often. For me that usually means 1.5", 2", 2.5" and 3.5". The new neutrals were all 1/2 yard pieces, and I cut them in half along the center fold, leaving me with two fat quarters of each fabric. One fat quarter got folded up and put away on the shelf, and the other was sliced up into strips. Now I'm ready for any scrappy project that calls for light backgrounds, which is currently my Rainbow Bowties.



The only reason my purchases didn't destroy my stash report total is because I pieced the backs for two different quilts this week. One was for the Bowtie Chevrons quilt that I put together last week. I decided the back should have chevrons on it too. 2.75 yards used for this.


The other back is for the Dutch Tiles quilt. I bought this lovely blue and brown striped fabric in Paducah a few years ago, knowing it would become the back for this quilt. It's funny how I have such strong memories of where and when I bought some fabrics, and others I don't even recognize as coming from my stash. This quilt is very big, and the back used over 8 yards of fabric. You can read more about the Dutch Tiles quilt here.



My purple hexie star got the background hexies stitched on this week, using another 1/8 yard of fabric.




TOTALS:
Used this week:                  11.125 yards     
Used year to date:              49.625 yards

Stashed this week:                22.5  yards
Stashed year to date:         46.375 yards 

Net year to date:              3.25 yards used

Check out more stash reports at Patchwork Times


Julie in GA

8 comments:

  1. Wow, you are organized! My new fabric just gets dropped into its color bin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't have too many neutrals, in my book. I have some of the same ones. I'm the same way with fabric -- some I know exactly when and where, others just surprise me. I have some from my first AQS show 15 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued about your fabric process. I do pre-wash but for yardage, I generally just fold and put away. I do not cut it until I'm ready to use it in a quilt and then any pieces under a quarter yard gets cut into Bonnie's system. I just started it this year and I do not have enough yet to do anything with what I've got cut. Thanks for sharing. This give me food for thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great purchases, and they will help you use the stash. Like Melanie, I wash and put yardage into wire drawers, and only cut scraps smaller than a quarter yard into my "sizes". Whatever works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me wipe the drool off of my face! Awesome fabrics!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got some nice neutrals. I will be in Paducah next week, so I can walk through and touch the fabric at Hancocks. I'm not going to buy any though. lol I don't need any more fabric! I have to keep repeating that to myself! lol Your usage for the year is great! I think your Dutch Tiles quilt is awesome. Lots of work involved in piecing that..

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can never have too many neutrals! How big are your blocks wit the appliqued circles??

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...