Friday, April 10, 2015

Dutch Tiles top done!

Back in January, I pulled out this UFO that had been hanging around for more than a dozen years. I am so thrilled to finally have this quilt top completed! It sure has been a long time in the works. The pattern is called Dutch Tiles. I started it when my sister and I took a class taught by Judy Hasheider back in 2002. Most of the fabrics date from around that time.

Unfortunately, I have nowhere at home where I can get a photo of the whole quilt top, and every outdoor surface is covered with pollen. These two photos show the entire quilt except for the last row on each side. The full quilt measures 88" x 97".


The quilt consists of 46 whole blocks and 6 half blocks to finish the ends. All of the blocks feature a different pair of fabrics. Here are a couple of my favorite blocks, one of them with a white outline so you can get a better idea of how it is pieced. Lots and lots of set-in seams!




The ends of the quilt are straight, but the sides finish with zig-zag edges. I am not looking forward to doing the binding along those edges!




It feels so good to empty out one of those boxes holding an old project. Soon I will have the back pieced, and this will be ready to get quilted. After that I will be trying to decide the next UFO to pull out. Wish me luck!

I am linking up to Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict. I am also linking up to Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework and to Scraptastic Tuesday at Mrs Sew and Sow.

Julie in GA

13 comments:

  1. That is sooo pretty! I have, ahem, one or two (okay several) projects like this that languish in boxes or bags inside drawers...the FALs that I have joined have really helped to tackle some of these "forgotten" quilts. I love the kaleidoscope effect in some of the blocks. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't it feel great to get one of those old ones out of the closet? This is quite lovely. I agree--it is darned hard to photograph a big quilt. As for the edges, I hate to suggest it, but you could trim it straight! You'd lose a little bit of piecing, but after all this time it might be worth it not to spend forever on the binding. Congratulations on finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, this is one gorgeous quilt! I love the fabrics and the design. It really does look like tiles. Just beautiful. And YAY!! for finishing a UFO!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big Congrats on finishing your long-term UFO! I have some of these too and it really does feel great when you finish one up! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes the longer a project takes, the more exciting it is to finish. Your quilt is looking great! Good job on all those set-in seams. I probably would have given up completely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finish Julie. Congrats on finishing up a languishing UFO. It is beautiful and worthy of finishing. It is great to see it on Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant to finish this top. I've done a zig zag binding - it is worth the effort but I cannot deny it takes longer but probably not as long as you think - hope that helps! Good luck and thanks for linking up with #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finish on this top! I'm not a fan of doing so many corners myself so I'd be tempted to make the side straight with more diamonds of the background and the medium colors -- no darks for more stars.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay!!! Happy dance! Doesn't that feel so good? It is gorgeous and I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely quilt! I'm super impressed by all of your inset seams!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on a great finish! It's an amazing quilt.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Julie,
    what a beautiful quilt top, very nice color combination.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...