Saturday, May 6, 2023

Finishing Up the Purple Pieces

Most of the participants in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge have moved on to orange, our color of the month for May, but I still have a couple of purple projects to finish. I had some extra 9-patch and HST blocks left over from the Pretty in Purple quilt, shared in last Saturday's post. Instead of putting those extra blocks away in a box, I turned them into two placemat tops. After finishing, they will get donated to Meals on Wheels through our quilt guild.


Most of my quilting projects have ground to a halt over the last week, but it was for a very good reason--we went to Paducah! It is always so inspiring to attend a major show and see all of the amazing quilts on display. I haven't had much time to go through my photos yet, but I pulled out a couple to share with the RSC quilters.

Since the quilt show was in April, I will start with a fantastic purple quilt. This is "Heat Lightning" by Amy Pabst, the 1st place winner in Small Wall Quilts--Stationary Machine Quilted. The finished size of this quilt is only 39" x 45", and I believe the blocks measure 3" each, with those tiny little logs finishing at 1/8" wide. Unbelievable!


The next quilt is one of my favorites featuring orange, our color for May. This is "Sunset Over Catalina Island" by Nancy Eisenhauer. The colors in this quilt really spoke to me!


This was my favorite rainbow quilt from the show. It was in one of the special exhibits featuring primarily Kaffe Fassett fabrics. The quilt is "Jack's Chain", hand pieced by Ann Zemke and quilted by Lori Allison. I made a version of this same pattern a few years ago, my Ring Cycles quilt, which is still waiting to be quilted.


Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge every Saturday, and at Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is more fun than Housework on Sunday.


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

7 comments:

  1. Great way to use up your leftover purple scraps. The Meals on Wheels recipients are going to be thrilled. Lucky you getting to go to AQS. Now if I can only figure out how to redesign Jack's Chain without Y seams. There has got to be a creative way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has to feel good to have the leftovers in a project and not back in a drawer. Thanks sharing the quilts from Paducah, that log cabin one is really incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful quilts, the chain quilt is amazing! I'd have to number each block to put it together 😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy Pabst is amazing. . .her log cabin quilts are beautiful and made with such tiny pieces!!!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blocks - the purple is really pretty
    And those quilt - thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, Jack’s Chain has been on my Wanna-Make-Someday list since the first time I saw one! I’d love to see your version finished, too. Thanks for sharing the photos from Paducah. And I love the way you turned that one hunter star block into a placemat simply by adding the wide strips on each side. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great quilts from Paducah - thanks for sharing them! (Jennifer in Indy)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...