Saturday, May 13, 2023

Projects Old and New

My quilting time this week was spent on one very old project, plus I started one new project. Here's the old project first. I pulled out an unfinished Hawaiian applique block in April, our month for purple at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and now the block is done! It will join three previously finished blocks. According to my UFO list, the first block of the set was started in 2001. I wonder where those other blocks are hiding?

Hawaiian Applique block, 20" square

The new project that I started this week is a block of the month by the National Quilt Museum in Paducah. Several members of our quilt guild are making their own versions as a group challenge. I had planned to use 30's fabrics for my block, then totally changed direction and went with a gradation of fall colors. This block is also appliqued, but I did this one by machine, straight stitching close to the turned-under edges on all of the hexagons.

NQM BOM Block #1, 12.5" x 24.5"

This block of the month just started at the beginning of May and will last until the end of 2023. You can find more info at the National Quilt Museum website HERE or on their Facebook page HERE (but you have to join their Facebook group to access it there.) Did I mention that the patterns are free?!

Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge every Saturday, and at Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is more fun than Housework on Sunday. I'm also linking up my applique for Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts and Favorite Finishes at Meadow Mist Designs.


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful deep purple fabric in your Hawaiian block. The fall colors for the new block of the month is going to be gorgeous. Enjoy your stitching time this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchased a Hawaiian block on a trip there, many moons ago, all tacked, ready for hand applique. Not even started, wonder if mine has skipped away go hide with yours? Your new applique project is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe we should have a SAL for applique Hawaiian and papercut blocks! At least my one (and only one so far) is mocking me from the safety of it's project box. Every time I walk by that shelf, though, I think, "I need to get that back out!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fabrics in both of these pieces. Congrats on finishing the old UFO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Hawaiian Applique is lovely and the fabrics for the BOM looks fabulous in those fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...