Monday, May 15, 2023

Design Wall Monday 5/15/2023

After finishing up a Hawaiian applique block a few days ago, I went on a hunt for the rest of the Hawaiian blocks that were hiding away in my sewing room. Here are all of the finished blocks up on the design wall together.


There's also one more block that is cut out and basted to the background, but the stitching is barely started. I added that to the wall and tried out an on-point setting. I like the balance of colors in this version, but it means I would have to finish that last block!


Here is the unfinished block alone. Only a very small portion at the upper left has been appliqued.


An even closer view of that block gives a better look at how the Hawaiian applique is done. The blue fabric was folded into 1/8's and cut out, similar to the way you cut paper snowflakes. Then it was unfolded and basted down to the background fabric. All of the cut edges get turned under approximately 1/8" and stitched down to the background. 


Check out what other quilters are working on this week at Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts and at Monday Musings at Songbird Designs. 

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

8 comments:

  1. I've always admired Hawaiian applique, but hesitant to try. I encourage you to finish that last block. Your work is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing how you do this type of applique. I have done some applique, but nothing as intricate as this. Your work looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tropical bouquet you're stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did one block of Hawaiian quilting back in the 1980s and I knew that was enough for me. Since you have 4 blocks done and on point looking so good.....I think you should finish this last block. Maybe a timer set for 15 minutes each day......

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful either way, but I, too, like the balance of the on-point setting. I love hand appliqué and want to get back to it when I finish some other projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those blocks are amazing. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These blocks are amazing! I've never done this type of appliqué, but maybe I should try it sometime! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Julie!! These blocks are awesome!! Thanks for explaining how they are cut, and for sharing with us at MM!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...