Saturday, March 7, 2015

Sorting Out the Yellows

The first week of March has flown past. Our color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this month is yellow, one of my favorite colors for quilting, so bright and cheery. I have been sorting through my yellow scraps, choosing which ones to use for my applique circle blocks. A few blocks were made, and several more circles are being prepped.


"True Colors" by Nancy Mahoney
from the book Simple Circles and Quick Curves

One thing I discovered once I started making the yellow blocks is that I will definitely need to cut away my background fabric behind the lighter-colored circles. You can see the seam between the black and white fabrics, especially in that polka dot circle at the lower left. A question to all of you is whether you would cut out the background on all blocks so they are all the same thickness, or just on the ones where it shows through?

I have also been organizing fabrics to cut squares for my Rainbow Bowtie blocks. Each block needs 2 squares cut 2-1/2" and 2 squares cut 1-1/2", plus 2 background squares cut 2-1/2". I start out by sorting through the 2-1/2" strips, then finding 1-1/2" strips that match them. Cutting from those sizes means no waste. For the pieces that don't have a match in the right size, I move into my 2" and 3-1/2" strips. I hope to start cutting these today.



Check out all of the terrific scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. On Sunday I will also link up with Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than housework


Julie in GA

19 comments:

  1. What a great range of yellows. How many blocks of each color are you making for True Colors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to make 10 -12 each month. I haven't figured out how many I need for a quilt yet.

      Delete
  2. I have only been cutting away the ones where I can see the background through. I will be machine quilting around the circles, so I think it will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your circle blocks are fabulous -- so graphic and so striking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of Black and white and then the colour of the month. It is a great looking block. Love all your yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lovely blocks. The lighter colour does have show through and cutting away will probably solve that dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always come up with the most amazing designs. I found a bunch of white and black fabrics from a quilt I made Em 6 years ago. Hmmmm. Must finish some projects first but I'll be remembering your circles...especially since Kathy started some.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful selection of yellow fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the circles, so fun on the split background.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your yellow circles; a clever idea! Lovely fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The True Color blocks look great. You've got a nice range of yellows. I struggled a bit with my scraps in trying to find fabrics that worked in all yellow ones I wanted to make. Not all yellows go well together

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't used to like yellow but I am slowly coming around. It does add a lot of sunshine to a quilt. Thanks for sharing your happy blocks with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're going to have a super duper quilt at the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those circle blocks are so striking! I can't help you with the question of whether to remove the fabric from underneath all of them or not - sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm inspired. Looks like you are going to have a gorgeous and large quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yummy! I love a circle and yours with black and white is awesome
    LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful range of yellow prints!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...