Monday, July 22, 2013

Design Wall Monday 7/22/13 Turning Leaves finished!

For the first time in several weeks, I have a completely finished quilt to show! This is another of my many projects from 10 or more years ago that are finally getting finished. The handstitching of the binding and hanging sleeve were completed over the weekend.



The pattern is called "Turning Leaves." It was originally published by Quiltmaker magazine in the September/October 2002 issue. The pattern is still available here. I eliminated their pieced border, making mine a smaller version. The finished size is 43.5" x 60".

I made the quilt top in 2003 and taught it as a class a couple of times that year. Then it got packed away with all my other quilt tops and UFOs while I was on the road for seven years. I had it quilted last month by my good friend Jan of Cat's Meow Quilting in Brookfield, WI. 

Here is a close-up to give you a better look at Jan's beautiful quilting. All the fabrics in the top are batiks.



I am so happy to have this quilt finished, and we have the perfect spot to display it.

It's time for me to link up to Patchwork Times for Design Wall Monday. There is an incredible variety of ideas and inspiration there to enjoy, which is the reason why Monday has become one of my favorite days of the week!


Julie in GA

9 comments:

  1. Love your turning leaves.. I remember making cushions with this pattern... wonder where they are!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have ALWAYS loved that quilt and made one way back when. The result is my king-size quilt that till resides on my bed. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And mine is now a car quilt. I take it into restaurants that keep the temp so low I freeze. You should see the employees when I go out to the car and come back with a full sized quilt to keep me warm. I love this pattern, it was my first real quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Did you buy all the fabrics at the same time? I was wondering because that border is absolutely perfect for this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I got most of the fabrics, including the border, at the same time. I may have had a few in my stash already. It is a wonderful print for the border.

      Delete
  5. It's gorgeous! Congrats on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your fabric choices. I made one too - my daughter-in-law wanted a decorative cover for the top of her small freezer which had to be stored in the dining area of the apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that is much too pretty to go unfinished! It's beautiful. Congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Those are the perfect Fall colors that only batiks can give you!!! So glad you shared this under the batik theme!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...