Friday, June 30, 2023

Stars Galore and ABC Table Scraps Challenge

Today I have two very different, but related, projects to share with you. The first project is a quilt top that I made as part of a joint effort between the Common Threads Quilters Guild and the Sharpsburg Piecemakers, with the finished quilts going to a local program for homeless veterans. This is the Stars Galore quilt top, which measures 72.5" x 81.5"

Stars Galore quilt top

The starting point for this top was a large zipper bag of precut charm squares and smaller blue squares for the star points, plus long 3" strips of the blue for borders. I also received a diagram for the pattern layout. You can see more photos of this quilt top in process, including closer shots of some of the fabrics, in my earlier posts HERE and HERE.

The quilt top was completed and turned in at a guild meeting two weeks ago. I had several leftover charm squares, plus many bonus triangles from making the star points and some extra blue strips from the border. Instead of trying to find a place to store the leftovers away in my already messy sewing room, I decided to use up as many of those scraps as possible. 

I started by making the triangles into little pinwheel blocks. I was able to get a total of 16 pinwheels from those triangles. Here are a few of them that didn't make the final cut and will join my collection of orphan blocks. The pinwheels were trimmed to 3.5" square.


There was enough of the blue border fabric to use it as sashing around a dozen of the pinwheels, along with squares cut from some of the charm squares, to make this placemat. 

Pinwheels Galore placemat, 13" x 19"

More of the leftover charm squares were joined together for the placemat backing, then bordered with more of the blue print. You can see some of the stitch-in-the-ditch quilting on the back side.


This little placemat is my entry for this month's ABC Table Scraps Challenge at The Joyful Quilter. Our color for the month of June, as assigned by the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, was light blue, and I certainly used plenty of that. The letters for the ABC Challenge were D and I. I'm interpreting those letters as referring to my Design Inspiration, which was to use up those bonus triangles to make pinwheels, which then led to making the placemat. The placemat will be donated to Meals on Wheels.


Linking up with:
Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
ABC Table Scraps Challenge at The Joyful Quilter
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework



Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

8 comments:

  1. Stars Galore is a beautiful quilt top! I love the scrappiness of the charm squares paired with that pretty blue for the stars and border. And perfect use of the leftovers to make that placemat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stars Galore turned out beautifully! Great idea to use up the extras before they get lost in a pile somewhere in the sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use of those donation quilt leftovers, Julie! Kudos for not letting them languish in the scrap bag. Thanks for sharing with the ABC Table Scraps Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice top and great idea for charm squares - I have one similar in the works to use a bag of 3 inch squares given to me. Nice that it will go to a homeless veteran. And brilliant idea to use the leftovers right away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stars Galore really appeals to my scrappy heart! The pale blue hearts are just perfect among the other mostly dark squares.. And I applaud you for using up as many scraps as possible to keep them from multiplying elsewhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!!! and I just love that Stars Galore will go comfort someone - how sweet of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stars Galore is a beauty. I LOVE your table scraps placemat. So clever of you to make the pinwheels and sash them with the leftover border fabric!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julie, those are really cute projects.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...