Monday, June 12, 2023

Design Wall Monday 6/12/2023

I knew I had been neglecting my blog lately, but I was still very surprised to discover that it has been nearly a month since my last Design Wall Monday post. I've been doing plenty of quilting; I just haven't been taking photos of everything or can't share photos just yet.

Today I have some photos of a new project that I am starting. I had become intrigued by the photos I'd been seeing of fabric pulls/color palettes for the Summer Camp Modern Mystery Quiltalong, hosted by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr of Modern Quilt Studio. Any of you who are regular readers of my blog know that I'm not a "modern" quilter. However, I am trying to expand my horizons, and this seemed like a good way to try something different.

The quiltalong starts by choosing a range of fabrics, with at least 15-20 different colors recommended for the piecing, plus a background fabric. After checking out many fabric pulls on Facebook (I think anyone on Facebook can see the posts HERE), I started going through my collection of solids. My first possible fabric palette was inspired by the colors in this Kaffe Fassett fabric.


Like the print fabric, my plan was to use primarily greens and greenish blues, with accents of mustard, caramel, salmon and lavender. Below is what I pulled from my stash, along with a couple of dark pieces as possible background.


While washing up my solid fabrics, I was inspired by a stack of darker solids that had sort of a terra cotta feel that I liked. I pulled out a group that ranges from gold to rust to brick red and some purples, along with some blues for accents. I might try to pull in more light/medium pieces to keep it from all being too dark, but I do love the feel of this grouping. The light pieces along the top and bottom are ideas for background, but none of them are really working for me yet--maybe more of a sandy desert color.


The Summer Camp Modern Mystery Quiltalong just started on June 1st, so it's not too late to join the fun! One thing I should let you know is that it is not a free mystery; you have to buy the pattern which also includes video tutorials.

Check out what other quilters are working on this week at Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts and at Monday Musings at Songbird Designs. 

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

3 comments:

  1. I have a square of that cheerful ring/floral print.......I am usually dismal at quilt-alongs but I'm very intrigued by this one. I admire Kerr and Ringle's ideas and work so much. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!! I love that Kaffe fabric and all your coordinating solids. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses. Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like both fabric pulls. Looking forward to seeing this mystery come together.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...