Saturday, June 17, 2023

A New Rainbow Project

It wasn't my intention to start another new project for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, but that seems to be exactly what happened. I had the good fortune to see a trunk show and take a class with Candace Hassen on Thursday. She shared many of her amazing scrap quilts and talked about how she developed the designs for them. You can see them at her website HERE.

Our class with Candace was her A Maze Zing pattern. There were two versions, one with a single giant block and the other has multiple smaller blocks. The version with smaller blocks is called Hoopla, but the piecing method is the same. Here are Candace's versions of the two patterns.


I decided to go with the smaller blocks and pulled a variety of light and medium green fabrics for them, which was when I realized this could become an RSC project. Here are my two A Maze Zing/Hoopla blocks. They currently measure about 13" x 19", but I could easily make them larger.


The blocks were fun to make, and I look forward to adding more colors to the collection. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to use them all together in a quilt. They would also work well individually as placemats. That's why I stopped when they reached the size they are right now.

For anyone interested in Candace's quilts and patterns, I highly recommend that you visit her website HERE. Her style of quilting really spoke to me, with fairly simple piecing and the emphasis on scrappiness and the use of color to make the designs interesting. If you are a member of The Quilt Show, the online show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims, you can watch an episode with Candace as their guest. They display several of her wonderful quilts, then Candace demonstrates how to make the A Maze Zing quilt, plus one more of her wonderful designs. That is available HERE (but you must be a member to watch.)

Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge every Saturday, and at Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is more fun than Housework on Sunday. 


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

8 comments:

  1. That is a fun block! I can see where they'd be perfect for scrappy strips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn’t it be fun to have several A Maze Zing placemats for your table or for gifts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, very fun blocks. It's nice that you can go several different directions with those blocks. A quilt or table mats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful blocks just perfect for placemats. Isnt it funny how new RSC projects sneak up on us? Make me, they cry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, these blocks would be perfect for the RSC. I had fun deconstructing how to piece them. What can I say? That is just how my brain works. Yours are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, those Hoopla blocks are really intriguing! Thanks for the link to Candace’s website. I’m going to get the A-Maze-Zing pattern to use with some Kaffe fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the ones you chose - will make such a neat RSC quilt! (Jennifer in Indy)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...