Saturday, August 31, 2024

Finishing the Orange Blocks

Today is the last day of August, and I finished making my orange blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge just in time. 


These are Blocks #32 - 35 of the Birthday Blocks by Edyta Sitar at Laundry Basket Quilts. For my blocks I am alternating using a white or black background on each block and combining that with the RSC color of the month. The blocks will finish at 6".

The orange star is not the pattern that Edyta had designed. Her star block was made with English paper piecing, and I didn't want to spend the time doing all that hand stitching. Instead I went through some of my books of quilt blocks and found this Judy Martin design. It is from her pattern "Kyoto Gardens" which was published in her book Stellar Quilts. I scaled the pattern down to make this 6" block, but I'm thinking about making the original size (10.25") as an RSC project for next year.

I believe our RSC assignment for September will be dark neutrals (black and brown.) I need to go through my RSC projects and figure out which ones could use some dark blocks added to the collection.

Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge every Saturday and Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is more fun than Housework on Sunday. 

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

5 comments:

  1. You've got some great orange blocks for the month. That star block will make a beautiful RSC quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of your piecing prowess with that star block. I would have been tempted to redraft the fabric so there were no offset seems. Any tips for how you managed to get such flat center with 8 seams coming together and coping with the round of outer seams?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The orange/dark grey combo is great and the variety in your block's will work well. Dark Neutrals?? thanks - sometimes its hard to find when she has decided on a colour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely ORANGE blocks, Julie! Thanks for the heads up on the Dark Neutral call for September. I seem to remember Angela saying something about that in the beginning of August, but then couldn't locate it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your orange blocks are terrific. I sure like the backgrounds you used.--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...