Saturday, August 10, 2024

ScrapHappy Saturday

I was able to pull out some orange scraps and work on a couple of my projects for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this week. First up was finishing the August blocks for the RSC Hen & Chicks sampler. We are making four different block designs each month in both 3" and 6" finished sizes, and I am limiting my fabric choices to batiks. My selection of orange batiks was very limited, but I did get them all made.

After that, I made some orange Rail Fence Spinners, ending up with a total of 10 blocks.



Last month our RSC color assignment was aqua, teal and turquoise. Besides pulling out scraps, I also discovered a stash of tiny (2" finished size) bowtie blocks plus some 4-patches, all in those colors. There were over 160 of the bowties, but even if I'd used all of them together, they would have made a very small quilt, maybe 24" x 28". Instead of making more blocks, I decided to use what I had to make placemats, ending up with a total of four placemat tops. There are only 2 bowtie blocks left over!


All in all, it was a fun and very scrappy week. Who knows what kind of scrappy trouble I might get into next week! There are still plenty more orange scraps to use.

Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge every Saturday and Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is more fun than Housework on Sunday. 

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

11 comments:

  1. I love your Hen & Chick blocks for this month. They turned out so bright and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your orange scraps made some very fun blocks. What a great way to use up those bowtie and 4-patch blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Hen and Chicks blocks are so fun in the pretty oranges. Those are some tiny bowtie blocks! They'll make very fun placemats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely batiks in your Hen and Chicks blocks. So happy! Yowza! 2” bowties? Adorable. And the resulting placemats are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your Hen and Chicks blocks are dazzling! I can only dream of having that many lovely batiks. Great sewing on those bow tie placemats, too. Beautiful work, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great orange blocks, and wonderful placemats! Scrappy trouble is the very best kind, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Hen & Chicks are stunning. Also, the bow tie placemats are lovely. And get into more scrappy trouble!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love your placemats, that was a clever idea to use up your little blocks. Now tie blocks are ine of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. your hen and chicks blocks are so bright and pretty - great bowtie placemats - fun

    ReplyDelete
  10. a lovely collection of orange blocks.....good use for the bowties.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...