Saturday, January 21, 2023

Scrappy Blue Saturday

Sometimes my quilt projects are relatively quick and easy, something I can pull out and work on when I'm tired or don't want to think too hard. Last weekend I started making some scrappy 16-Patch Star blocks that are easy to piece, but give me the chance to play with a variety of fabrics.


At other times I'm up for more complex projects that require care and concentration to achieve the precise cutting and piecing necessary for success. These blocks definitely fall into that second category.


This block design is 
called "Jabberwocky." It is a Judy Martin pattern from The Block Book. I believe the book is out of print, but available at a variety of on-line sources. I am making these blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, with the plan to make 2 or 3 blocks each month.

Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge every Saturday and at Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is more fun than Housework on Sunday.


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

11 comments:

  1. Your Jabberwocky blocks are beautiful. I can see how they would take a bit of concentration. The center block becomes a nice focal point with all the rotating star points around it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jabberwocky is certainly an interesting block! I’m envisioning a fabulous quilt! I still have scrappy stars on my list of “ blocks-to-do”.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those 16 patch stars - so pretty with the variety of blues! The Jabberwocky blocks are amazing, and they do look like they require some concentration. They'll make a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Jabberwocky blocks are really spectacular. Your 16 patch star blocks are really fun. It's good to have a balance of the complicated with the simple. Makes it much easier to get something done if you have both you can work with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've owned The Block Book for years...finally pulled it out today. So many amazing star blocks. You've enabled me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good idea to mix it up with some blocks that are easy and some that are more challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy! That Jaberwocky block does look quite complex. A good skill builder ... or confidence betrayer! haha! Yours are looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whatever Susie said. Good luck. I will be watching you - picture me wide-eyed, mouth open and a bucket of popcorn on my lap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting blocks,I'd have to put a do not disturb sign on the door to concentrate LoL great job,looking forward following the process of your quilt

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love both sets of blocks you’re making. (Jennifer in Indy)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...