Monday, January 2, 2023

Design Wall Monday 1/2/2023

My first Design Wall Monday post of the new year features a new project that hasn't appeared here before. I made a late start on Bonnie Hunter's annual mystery quilt Chilhowie. She announced the fabric requirements on Halloween, then started giving weekly clues on the day after Thanksgiving. I was focused on another project at that time and didn't start on the mystery until a week before Christmas, and I decided to use Christmas colors for my version.


The first few weeks were all about making different units. Since I was so far behind, I started by making only a few of each. We made four-patches (and nine-patches too, but I've already used those up), half-square triangles, and quarter-square hourglass units. Then there are the ones across the bottom that look like a picket fence to me--I'm guessing that they will become a border.


The next step was to put units together into blocks. I like how the design is looking, although I'm not sure about the pale red points in the bottom block.


After that more units were added to make the blocks even bigger. I've only got one together so far.


Here's my one big block along with the three center blocks. Bonnie's pattern calls for a total of 16 of the big blocks. I'm shooting for 8-9 at this point. I'm looking forward to getting the next step on Friday.

Check out what other quilters are working on this week at Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts. 

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

4 comments:

  1. Julie, I love the color combo you chose for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying seeing all the different color variations of the Chilhowie mystery quilt. I still haven't had a chance to start mine because I've been trying to finish up last year's RSC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on the sidelines for Chilhowie. I like your color variation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s looking great Julie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...