Saturday, February 19, 2022

Scrappy Squares and Fishies Quilt

A friend and former co-worker is expecting her first baby in a few months. I took a look at her baby registry, and there is a definite ocean theme. There are sharks and whales and other sea creatures, mostly in blue, aqua, teal and turquoise. The timing is perfect, since those colors fit right in with the February colors for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. It's time to make a baby quilt!

My starting point for the baby quilt was this fun fish print. It's an older Michael Miller fabric called "Mod Fish." The largest deep blue fish with white scales measure 7" across. The colors in this fabric will be perfect with the rest of the nursery decor.


I wanted to add some pieced panels to the quilt, so I pulled out 2.5" squares from my scrap bins, focusing on the blue-greens, bright blues, and a few grey fabrics. The background fabric is a very light grey pattern on white. 


After I completed one checkerboard panel, it was time to look at the combination on the design wall. My plan is to add sashing strips between the fish fabric and the pieced panels, but choosing the sashing fabrics turned out to be more difficult than expected. 

I'm pretty set on using the green fabric shown in these photos next to the fish print, but I kept trying different options against the checkerboard panel. Last night I had decided that the last choice was my favorite, but now I'm not so sure. I'd love to hear your opinions. Clicking on any of the photos should enlarge them. 

1. Pale grey (two different options)


2. Medium grey (4 options)


3. Darker grey (1)


4. Navy with teal and turquoise stars

My plan for the finished quilt is three bands of the fish print alternating with two pieced checkerboard panels. I'm hoping to end up with a quilt that measures 38-40" across and 44-48" long. Today I will work on piecing the second checkerboard, then start the quilt assembly.

Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge every Saturday and at Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is more fun than Housework on Sunday.


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

20 comments:

  1. Either the first or the last. If you do the first, use the nave as your binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the last one best. I think it shows both fish and checkerboard strips off very well. Lovely fish fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking great! i like the darker grey, the lighter grey and the navy. how about all 3? that would be interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last one is best with the darker colours, the same darker print as a binding would frame it beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will make an awesome baby quilt. The fish fabric is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First option is my favorite, Julie. Either (or both!) of those pale gray fabrics would work. LOVE the fish print you chose for the quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first glance, I thought the bottom fabric in the first photo. A sort of vertical stripe. Then Option 4! Oh my! I really like that one. It’s going to be a great quilt, whichever you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That fish print is so fun, and I love what you're doing with it! It looks like this will be the perfect baby quilt for your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would go with the Navy blue with stars (# 4) or the 1st one.
    It will be a happy quilt for a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of them look great. I vote the darker grey or the blue with stars. The darker strips seem to set off the fish & the checkerboard better. The light grey just blends too much. IMO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great fabrics to pick from. My humble opinion is medium grey bottom left as it looks like rocks at the bottom of the river. Choice #2 is the very first pale grey as it brings out the grey fish. In the last picture, the border is trying to steal the show. Just saying. If you copy your picture and crop it to remove all the design all and then paste it at the bottom of the first, you'll see a more complete picture of the finished quilt. It helps me decide when I'm uncertain of something. Like I said, just saying. You have a great eye, trust your guts. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mom, way too many choices for a procrastinator like me! I do like the navy, but wonder if it would be better used as the binding. Your idea of checherboards and panels of fish is so clever, how come I never come up with such great ideas like this?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a fun quilt! I'd go with option 1 and the bottom line fabric as it picks up the lines in the grey fish on the focal fabric. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it, the 1st option of light gray and the bottom choice that has lines to mimic the gray fish in the fish print. Loved the teal with stars, maybe the border or bining. Happy Quilting and Sewing from Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Version 1 has my vote. That is such a fun fish print, it will make a great baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the contrast of the navy. Can't wait to see it finished. It is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the first one, it just goes so well. But then maybe a dark blue binding to bring out the blue fish? What a fun fabric. Just perfect for an ocean themed nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd like to vote for option 1. I like it best because it keeps the focus on the fish print. I feel that the darker sashing strips in the other three options draw attention to themselves, when in fact, the sashing is not a feature of the design.

    Megan
    Sydney, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those fishes are so cute! Any fabrics you choose are going to work out perfectly. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It’s looking so cute! And it reminds me of something I’d do, so it definitely rings my bell! xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...