After spending most of my quilting time last week either machine quilting on the Rainbow LeMoyne baby quilt or rearranging bowtie blocks on the design wall, I decided it was time to work on something different. I'm aiming to make progress on some old UFOs this year, and it was time to work on one of those.
Many years ago I went through a phase of being obsessed by Storm at Sea quilts. My first attempt at making one was in 1998 when I made two mini quilts, one with light background and one with dark. I tried to quilt them together into a reversible quilt, but they didn't line up quite right. I'm sure that little quilt is around here somewhere--this might be the time to dig it out.
In 2001 I decided to make another small SAS quilt, this time making it into a heart. I pieced this heart from scrap fabrics, then stashed it away. At this point it measures 21.5" wide x 18.5" high.
Yesterday I added a narrow scrappy neutral border to the center. That brings the size up to 24.5" x 21.5". I was able to find scraps of many of the same fabrics, plus others that blended in well with the rest.
The next step will be to add a red border. This one will also be scrappy, but wider. I'm planning to add 3" squares all the way around the heart, as shown on two sides below.
With any luck, I might be able to get this bordered, quilted and finished in time for Valentine's Day!
Check out what other quilters are working on this week:
Happy quilting everyone!
Julie in GA