My 2022 projects for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge got off to a slow start, partly because I was carrying over multiple projects from last year. However, when I gathered all the different RSC blocks together, they added up to a great collection of red scrappiness on my design wall.
The little applique hearts were one of the projects started in 2021. The applique portion gets trimmed to 4.5", then framed with 1.5" x 2.5" rectangles, bringing them up to 6" finished size. I've finished that step on only two of the blocks.
I shared the Charm Basket blocks in this post a couple weeks ago, but I later finished a few more, ending up with a total of 21 red blocks. I included a few of my sample blocks in other colors to fill out the photo. I've had a great time making these blocks and am very excited about this project.
One of last year's RSC projects was the Bowties 365, which had me attempting to make a bowtie block every single day of the year. This year I have taken an even easier approach to that goal with Rail Fence blocks--only 2 seams in each block! I ended up with 42 red blocks for January.
The most recent addition to my RSC projects list happened just yesterday. I have seen many versions of scrappy heart blocks and decided to go ahead and try one. This block was made from 2.5" squares and triangles, and the block will finish at 12". I hope I will have enough of my favorite Tula Pink background fabric (leftover from last year's Homespun quilt) to make a small quilt with these blocks.
One of my goals for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge in 2022 is to make progress on some of my old UFOs. I was inspired by this quote from a post by Chantal in December:
"What is the Personal Rainbow UFO Challenge? It's very simple. Just tag one of your UFO quilts or projects to a colour. When Angela calls the colour of the month, you have to work on that UFO. You don't HAVE to finish it, but working on it, and bringing it forward is the name of this game."
I did something like this once before, and it really helped me move some old projects forward. I thought it was about five years ago, but in looking back at previous posts, I discovered that it was in 2015! It's definitely time to try this again. The red UFO that I pulled out was a small one that needed borders added. There is a major hearts theme happening here this month! This is my Storm at Sea Heart.
I added two scrappy borders to the center of this quilt, bringing it up to 30.5" wide x 27.5" high. I would love to get this quilted up and ready to hang for Valentine's Day.