Sunday, September 7, 2014

Stash Report Sunday 9/7/14

I have lots to report this week, both fabric used and fabric added. One project goes back a few months and is finally ready for showing, others are brand new.

A group of us at work joined together to make a signature quilt for the retirement of our boss Carol. I was in charge of the design and getting all the fabrics. We used batiks in many shades of blues, greys, tans and browns. The blocks were joined together and borders added on Friday. Carol always urged us to use a thimble for hand sewing, so we included a thimble block on the front, and the backing fabric is covered with thimbles. I am counting both fabric used and fabric added to my stash for this project. The white fabric for the signature areas was from my stash, as were many of the batiks, but I ended up with the leftovers of other fabrics purchased for the quilt.



Last week I showed the layer cake of "Surrounded by Love" that I had won. I was thinking it would be perfect for a very girly baby quilt with the many prints in pink, red and white. Only a few days later, I got an email from our pregnant niece letting us know that she is having a girl! It's meant to be! Yesterday I went shopping for a solid pink to use with the layer cake, and I also found a flannel print that will be perfect for a backing. That is an addition of 5 yards to my stash. I haven't decided on a baby quilt pattern yet, but I am considering several options.



My other purchase yesterday was this beautiful print from Patty Young's Modkid Studio. There is something I really love about the color combination, and I am thinking it would make a good color palette for a future quilt.



I got inspired to make some new pajama pants this week. I made a pair for myself from a tropical print, and a short pair for my husband, the FSU fan. They aren't quilts, but they are from quilting fabrics, so I am including the fabric used in my stash report.











Totals:
Signature quilt:  2.75 yds. used, 1 yd. added
Baby quilt fabrics:  5 yards added
Grey/teal/yellow print:  1.75 yds. added
2 pair pajama pants:  4.5 yds. used

Used this week:                          7.25 yards
Used year to date:                    100.0 yards


Stashed this week:                     7.75  yards
Stashed year to date:                97.5 yards 

Net year to date:   
                   2.5 yards used  

Hurray! I made my goal of using at least 100 yards this year (and should go well past that number in the remaining four months.) I'm still hanging on at using up more fabric than I add.

Check out more stash reports at Patchwork Times.

Julie in GA

6 comments:

  1. You are doing so great on your stash management. WOW, lots of fun projects too. I love your pj's. I need some of those, shall I send you my size?? lol Your retirement quilt is very pretty and your friend will treasure it being from all of you. You have had a great week.! Keep it up. Congrats on reaching your usage goal so early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos on reaching your goal! Your boss is going to love her quilt. Lucky niece to be getting a quilt for her baby out of such sweet fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great numbers and a beautiful quilt for your bosses retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to buy a pair of those fsu shorts from you... you can email me if you would like to sell a pair at boykin57@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie! I just stumbled upon your blog and love the pattern for the signature quilt! Looking to do something similar for a wedding! Do you have the name of the pattern by chance??

    ReplyDelete
  6. We didn't use a real pattern, just made it up from seeing other similar quilts. I do know that the colored strips on the sides of each block were cut from layer cake (10") squares, so I believe that they were cut at 1.5" x 5". The white pieces would have been cut 3" x 5". We ironed freezer paper on the back of the white segments to make it easier to write on them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...