Monday, July 3, 2023

Give and Take for Design Wall Monday

It's the beginning of a new week in a new month, and I've started another new quilt project. This new project, called Give and Take, was started in  a Zoom workshop taught by Tara Faughnan and offered by the East Cobb Quilt Guild. Here are two of Tara's versions of the Give and Take quilt.


Gem Tones colorway

Seafoam colorway

Our six-hour workshop included tons of information about choosing a color palette, which is one of Tara's specialties. In fact, she presented a lecture on Creating Color Palettes to the guild the day before our class. That lecture is even available as an online presentation--get more info HERE

We started the Give and Take class by choosing the colors we wanted to use in our quilts and auditioning them on the design wall. There was lots of discussion and rearranging. Then we started cutting our main fabrics into pieces and putting those up on the wall together. Pieces got moved around and overlapped to break up the lines and add motion to the quilt. This is what was on my design wall at the end of the day.



The white showing in the gaps between the different red pieces is the flannel of my design wall. My plan was to use lights (white, cream, beige, light grey) as my contrast pieces, instead of going dark like Tara's two quilts. To help me figure out where I wanted to add the contrast strips, I shifted all the red pieces closer together and got rid of most of the white gaps. 


The next step will be to start auditioning little strips of the light fabrics and figure out where to add them. Before long I need to stop looking at it all on the design wall and just start sewing pieces together. It's not a quick process, but I'm enjoying the way this piece is progressing. I'm sure it will continue to change significantly before I am done.

Check out what other quilters are working on this week at Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts and at Monday Musings at Songbird Designs. 

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

3 comments:

  1. What a neat design concept! Your colorway is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very bold color palette! You did so well at getting it harmonious with all those different reds. Looking forward to watching this one come together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the reds and they will go great with white, cream, beige and greys! Thanks for sharing with Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...