Monday, July 24, 2023

Design Wall Monday 7/24/2023

It has been a couple of weeks since I shared the progress on my block making for the Modern Quilt Studio 2023 Summer Camp Mystery, my primary quilting project since early June. After making about 100 blocks over five weeks of clues, I felt the need to remake some of my blocks from the earliest weeks of the mystery. My goal was to reduce the amount of teal and turquoise solids in the blocks and emphasize the rust and gold tones that fit with my color palette inspiration of the desert and Sedona, AZ. The first photo shows the blocks that are going to be remade.


The next photo shows the blocks after they were redone. These are still plenty of the blue-green fabrics included, but they are used as accents rather than the stars of the blocks, and some of the lighter turquoises were eliminated completely. It's not a huge change, but I'm much happier with the balance of colors. For some of these blocks, I was able to take apart and reuse portions of the blocks shown above, and for others I started over completely.


The final clues for the mystery were shared about ten days ago. I was expecting the reveal to show us how to put all of our blocks together, which it did, but it also included even more blocks to make. Below is my final set of blocks. 


Making these brought my total number of blocks to about 140. That included some extras of my favorite block designs, plus there are some of those reject blocks from the first photo still around. It's time for me to start getting them up on the design wall and playing with the quilt layout. I can't wait to see how it all comes together!

Check out what other quilters are working on this week at Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts and at Monday Musings at Songbird Designs. 

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

2 comments:

  1. These blocks are such intriguing puzzle pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks look great, Julie! I'm so excited to see your final reveal soon! Thanks for sharing on Monday Musings.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...