Saturday, September 26, 2020

Scrappy Rainbow Saturday--Week 39, 2020

It's the last Saturday of our month of stitching up red scraps for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I finished my red Scrappy Bear Paw block a couple days ago.


One of the best things about making scrappy blocks is reminiscing about the different fabrics. For this block I pulled out some very old pieces that had come from my mother's scrap bags. Five years ago this summer, my sister and I made three quilts with those old scraps, one for each of us and one for Mom. Some of the scraps date back decades from making clothing for the whole family. They are full of such wonderful fabric memories!


There were four of the old fabrics included in my Bear Paw block.


I don't remember what was originally made from every one of those old fabrics, but one in particular stands out for me. This print was a dress my mother made for me when I was very young, and I even had a matching dress for my doll! I've always loved this fabric, and I even have the original dress stashed away with some of Mom's scraps that I kept.



The dress is a little faded, but I'm still tickled every time I pull it out. I don't have any children or grandchildren to pass it on to, and it's unlikely I could ever bring myself to cut it up for the fabric. I'll just enjoy the memories when I see it.

I am linking up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge on Saturday and with Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework on SundayI hope you are all staying well and getting lots of quilting done!

Julie in GA 


19 comments:

  1. My mother made a similar dress for me - we had to wear dresses to school back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress is adorable, and so fun that you still have it! I love the fact that you still have some of that fabric to put into your newest quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great memories and I love that you are including those bits of fabrics in your bear paw blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to reminisce about when and where I purchased fabrics. I still have some of my mother's stash but it is all solids (and lots of poly) that I rarely use. But I love the way it smells!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your block and the story of the fabric in it - how awesome to have your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful that you still have that dress! Sometimes I sit and ponder the dresses (and dance costumes) that my mom sewed for me. Or the ones I sewed for myself as I got older. Your Bear Paw block is gorgeous, made all the more special with the meaningful scraps. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is what I like most about scrap quilts--preserving memories! I love your little dress, and wish I had saved more of the ones I made for my girls. I do have a Pilgrim costume my great-grandmother made for my mother. My daughter wore it once in first grade for a play.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun it is to see those special scraps in your RSC block, Julie!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still have scraps from the 70s when I made clothes for the family. Of course it was cheaper to buy fabric and make clothes back then. Slowly I've been using it up but you are right...ah, the memories! My sisters and mom did not sew but my grandmother did and showed me how. (More memories). And that is one sweet dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful dress memory and quilts using former clothing fabrics...; wonderful way to keep your memories alive...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely little dress, full of happy memories for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's always lovely to reminisce over fabric bits. Very cool to still have one of your childhood, mom-made dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is fun to think about where the scrappy fabrics come from. How cool that you still have the dress. I wish my Mom had kept some of the dresses she made for my sister and I, but I think they all got passed on to cousins. How fun that you still have that one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun post! I have a bit of the “ paisley bandana” print in my stash! It is fun to look at old fabrics and remember when and what.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your dress brings back memories of the little red dresses I always had as a youngster, generally with a Peter Pan collar and short puffy sleeves. Red has always been a favorite color.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Every scrap always has a story. I find it amazing you still have the little dress. What a great memory that little scrap has. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you've still got that sweet dress! Such memories!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet memory!!!! Love the little dress! Bet you were a doll dressed up in it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...