Monday, September 21, 2020

Design Wall Monday 9/21/2020--A New Project!

Saturday was National Sew a Jelly Roll Day, a day that I really had no plans to participate in, but I did spend some time looking at jelly roll patterns. One of my favorite sources for free quilt patterns is the Fat Quarter Shop website. They have the patterns divided up by type of precuts (jelly roll, layer cake, etc.) and also by fabric manufacturer. 

I looked through the page of jelly roll patterns, and there were a few that I was somewhat interested in, but it wasn't until I got near the bottom of the page that I found THE pattern. You know, the one that jumps out at you and yells "I'm the one! Make me RIGHT NOW!" Well, who was I to argue?



I can't even tell you why this pattern spoke to me. It was just the right design at the right time. I searched through my fabrics for a big enough piece to use as background, settling on a light grey solid. I didn't have a jelly roll that I was dying to use, so I pulled 2.5" strips out of my strip drawers, using a full rainbow of colors.

I made the first three letters Friday afternoon, then spent much of Saturday cutting background for all the rest of the letters and piecing several of them. On Sunday, I pieced the last of the letters and got them all up on the design wall.


I need to make the filler blocks for the four corners, then decide if I want to set the blocks together as directed in the pattern or go my own way. Their design makes a quilt that finishes at 59" x 68". The letter blocks currently finish at 8" x 10". I'm off to dig through the stash and see what I can find as a possible border fabric.

Linking up with:
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

6 comments:

  1. I love these letters! It's such a great feeling when you come across that 'one' pattern and can't wait to dig in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh neat ABC letter quilt...very cheerful...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the mix of colors and prints! Inspiration is such a match to the fire :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even tell you how much I love this project, Julie. A rainbow of color and an alphabet of letters? Suffice it to say that I love it SEW much!!! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much fun! Love the rainbow of letters

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made quick work of all those blocks. A great way to use up some scrappy strips. Do you ever wonder why there are some patterns that just call to you and you can't resist?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...