Thursday, July 9, 2020

Scrap Snap Top--Rainbow Cascade

Some quilts have minds of their own and insist on your attention, don't they? That was the case with my Scrap Snap project. What was originally planned as a slow-paced monthly color progression quickly turned into an obsession where I couldn't wait to make my next set of blocks. 

Unfortunately, I don't remember where I first saw some blocks posted for the Scrap Snap Quilt-Along. The QAL had started in January and was set up as a monthly project with 10 blocks to be made each month. Kari, the hostess of the QAL, had shared several ideas for different ways to use the blocks. Her rainbow versions were very appealing as a possible project for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. This was my favorite of her designs.


I started the Scrap Snap QAL around mid-May. That meant I was already four months behind! As a regular participant in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I began with a set of blocks in greens, which was our assigned color for May. Here is my first set of ten blocks.

Scrap Snap blocks, 6" finished size

I decided to go back and make blocks in some of the RSC colors from earlier in the year. In less than a week I had four sets of blocks done (did I mention yet how super easy these blocks are to make?)


By the middle of June, I had finished blocks in nine different colors. My plan was to add black/grey blocks like Kari's design option at the top of this post, but to set my blocks in a stairstep layout like the above photo. I made 24 whole blocks in blacks and greys, plus 12 partial blocks. This photo gives a better idea of how I used the partial blocks.


Once all the blocks were made, they went up on the design wall. Then I started sewing them together into columns. After that, the long columns were all joined together to become this finished quilt top!

Rainbow Cascade quilt top
60.5" x 72.5"

When I shared an in-progress photo recently, Nann who blogs at With Strings Attached commented on my "cascade arrangement." I liked that so much that I've named the quilt Rainbow Cascade. Thanks for the idea Nann! Many, many thanks to Kari at Quilts for the Making for this wonderful QAL inspiration. I may not have stuck to the plan of quilting along all year, but I'm thrilled with the finished result!


Linking up with:
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Whoop Whoop Friday at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

23 comments:

  1. Just a gorgeous piece this is!! I love how the colors flow...nice work
    Hugs from afar...Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really is gorgeous! The cascade works so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one flows into gorgeous scraps of quilt ! Will you make another?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I first saw these blocks on Marly's Quilts blog and I'm in love with this quilt too. Love your layout. Great job, Julie. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! I love a good rainbow and this hits all the high notes for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is just fantastic!!! LOVE how all the colors are separate but run together!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s fabulous! A gorgeous cascade of color!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thrilled? As well, you should be. It's RAINBOW-licious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Rainbow Cascade is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you should be thrilled! This is stunning! I absolutely love that it's made with leftovers! One of the best quilts this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. loving your quilt! i found the quilt-along, too, and used her layouts as a springboard for making a few tops from my crumb blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I first read about this QAL on your blog and checked it out on Kari's blog. I'd love to jump right in and start one, but it's just too hot to spend time in my studio right now. Your cascade version is wonderful.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great quilt! It is amazing what scraps can turn into.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great use of color - love the result!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can see how you might be obsessed with moving those blocks along! Rainbow Cascade is the perfect name for a deliciously scrappy quilt in rainbow colors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a gorgeous finish! It really is a cascade of colors. Congrats on the finished flimsy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So much scrappy goodness. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful quilt! Gradation quilts are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful quilt and such a nice size!Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome RSC quilt - the colors and layout are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your quilt! I have just started the Scrap Snap Quiltalong, too! I can’t wait to start sewing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...