Saturday, October 19, 2024

Rail Fence Spinners--Quilt Top #2 Done!

The Rail Fence quilt collection continues to grow! This week I finished assembling the top of my second Rail Fence Spinners quilt.

Rail Fence Spinners #2, 40" x 48.5"

I was especially happy with the way the border fabric worked with the rainbow of colors in the blocks. I knew it wouldn't be possible to get the white diagonal grid design in the border and the setting triangles to line up perfectly, so the dark pink inner border is there to give a separation between them. The same dark pink will be used for the binding.


My Rail Fence collection started in 2022 as one of my projects for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I made blocks for a few months in 2022, then continued in 2023. At that end of that year, I was able to make two small quilts, one with the blocks set straight, and the other with the blocks on point.

There was still a stack of Rail Fence blocks left after I made those two quilts. I discovered that joining them together into groups of four made pinwheel-type designs that I dubbed Spinners. I made Spinners through 2024, using up last year's Rail Fence blocks and making even more. I ended up with enough for two small quilts, the one at the top of this post, and the straight-set quilt from last week.

Rail Fence Spinners #1, 42.5" x 54.5"

I think it's time to take a break from Rail Fence blocks! I still have just a few left over, but I'm ready to move on to something new.

Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge every Saturday and Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is more fun than Housqework on Sunday. 


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

11 comments:

  1. Your rail fence blocks have made some wonderful quilts, Julie! I love all the different settings you figured out for them. And that background fabric is perfect for a rainbow quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could publish a book on rail fence layouts. Your different settings showcase just how versatile the block is. Adding the pink inner border was a stroke of genius. The perfect solution to a tough design problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love how the simple turning of a block can result in such wonderful variations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing how the 4 fence rail quilts all look different depending on the layout! Love the on point fence rail that makes a rainbow of zig zags! The spinners are so cute too! All beautiful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, I never really thought about the versatility of a rail fence block. Great quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rail Fence spinners is awesome! that border print could not BE more Perfect!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your newest edition to the Rail Fence collection, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing what you did with the rail fence blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your setting and border fabric worked so well with those blocks. Congrats on finishing up another quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a versatile block! I love all the different looks -- zig zag, straight set, on point -- but that latest one looks very classy to me. Great job! The setting triangles and that dark pink skinny border really brought it home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seeing the variety you made with your rail fence blocks makes me want to make some too. You did a wonderful job with all the setting. What are you moving on to for next years RSC?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...