Saturday, November 25, 2023

Rail Fence Rainbows

When I shared the progress on my Rainbow Rail Fence blocks two weeks ago (see it HERE), my plan had been to use 320 blocks to make a small quilt measuring 48" x 60". The very next day, I changed my mind and decided to use fewer blocks and make them into a baby quilt. I ended up setting my 3" blocks 13 across x 16 long, for a quilt that finishes at 39" x 48".



Of course, that meant I had a pile of extra blocks left over. My first idea was to join them into groups of four that would make little pinwheel spinners.


I like the look of the spinners, but most of my extra blocks were already stitched into groups of four in a totally different configuration. Instead of taking all of them apart, I would rather find a way to use them. Playing with those groups led me to this layout.


I'll need to remove the green blocks from the reds at the right end, but there will be very little unstitching other than that. I've pulled out a grey fabric to finish off the outer edges as the setting triangles and border. Depending on the size of the border, this quilt should finish around 38-39" square.

Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the 
Rainbow Scrap Challenge every Saturday, 
and at Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is more fun than Housework on Sunday. 


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

6 comments:

  1. So many clever ideas to use up your RSC Rail fence blocks. All great! I particularly like the Spinners blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have two wonderful baby quilts. Great job on using all your blocks. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two fun layouts! These will make great baby quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such simple blocks, but they make some colorful and fun quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These simples blocks sure pack a wallop of visual impact! I like how you used the blocks without having to unstitch a lot of the spinners. What a wonderful top!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of those RSC projects will be lovely baby quilts, Julie!! Great use of your blocks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...